Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:50 PM   #21

This is all so encouraging. I tell ya I have been frustrated for years with my i9100 printer because I cant get a quality black and white image...i get a greenish cast to all my prints no matter what kind of paper I use. And I have to admit, I could very well have non canon ink in the printer. I too shop around and found inks from various vendors. So I will experiment with the inks now and see if I can get a quality Black and white. Also I find that when I do a nozzel check I have some cyan bands missing. About 8-10 spread out over the test. Could be some blockage, do ya think. Here is my question concerning nozzel checks, does it matter if you do the test on plain white paper or photo paper? Would you get missing bands either way? Thanks...I love this site.
devilwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:19 PM   #22

Something I've been curious about on the Panasonic, is with the focus assist light. In a room dark enough to need the focus assist, what distance does it work out to. For example, I have trouble getting my camera to focus on a group of people in my dining room at a distance of about 10 feet by a somewhat dim overhead light. Would the focus assist light work at that range. Do you know what max range it reaches to? Thanks,

ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:22 PM   #23

Devilwoman,

What inks are you using and what paper?
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:08 PM   #24

The focus lamp does not work very far in complete darkness, only about 6 feet or so, but as long as there is some dim light the camera focuses quite well and doesn't fish around a lot.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:17 PM   #25

Hi Devilwoman, I will certainly keep you posted on my experiences as I get the new ink. Couple of things: It should not make a difference if you do the nozzle check on plain or glossy paper. If you cannot get rid of the blank streaks even after several cleanings, your print head might be clogged and you should take it out and soak it. There are several forums here which have different suggestions for cleaning solutions. I do not have any experience with that. Never had to do it.

Also, have you tried printing your black and white pictures selecting the grayscale option in the printing menu? I wonder how that would work. Certainly should eliminate the green cast.

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:59 PM   #26

Earlier today, I changed out the Canon Photo Magenta cartridge for one from Print-Rite. Again, there is an immediate shift toward green immediately on most papers. The one paper that seems to resist this, is the Epson Glossy Paper. It stays warm and does not yield to the generic inks tendency to turn green. I should stack up on this paper. It helps a lot.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:39 PM   #27

I have had a Canon i9900 for about 2 months. Until recently the color in my prints on Costco photoglossy paper was excellent and true to the colors on my monitor. However, as each Canon ink ran out I replaced it with OA100 generics from ink4u. This week I replaced the Canon Cyan with the generic. Yuck! Not only is there a horrible blue cast on the photo paper, but plain paper (Kodak Bright White Inkjet) printouts lack detail and appear out of focus. Anyone else had a problem with these inks? Any suggestions?
Ground Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:46 PM   #28

I have had no experience with that particular ink. It might be from one of the same manufacturers as the ones I have used. I tried so far the inks from inkgrabber, G&G and Print-Rite, all of them giving my prints a green cast, G&G being the worst. I am trying one more brand that I ordered from ebay (See posting above with link to the ebay auction). If that does not do it, I am going to use genuine Canon ink only.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:41 PM   #29

Reduve,

In your experiences with other inks, did you replace all cartridges at once? Or swap out just the empty cartridges?

I am finding a strong Blue cast to my i960, usingOEM inks mixed with G & G (Yellow Box) Magenta & Yellow on Kirkland Glossy. On the other hand I get a green cast on the same paper with my ip5000 using all OEM inks.

When I print a color image sample, the individual colors, with some tweaking of Print driversettings, seem very close if not matching between printers. However when I print an 8" x 10" theBlue or Green cast really jumps out when comparing photos. Adjustments are to Print driver Color Adj. & effects settings with computer color management =off.

I think the only way to test with some accuracy is with a complete changeout of all cartridges. Otherwise, I am not sure if it is ink or paper? I would be interested in hearing more detailed what not to do as well as suggestions of remedies to existing color cast problems.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:54 PM   #30

I tried it all. Replacing a whole set as well as individual cartridges. Currently, I have all Canon inks other than a Print-Rite Photo Magenta in my printer, and again I get a greenish cast. So, I will try that AQX brand that I ordered from ebay, and if that don't do it, I am done with generic ink.