Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:07 PM   #31

Of course, paper is an issue, too. As I posted earlier, Epson papers and also Canon Pro seem to have a warmer, more magenta tint than most of the other glossy papers. However, from my experience, all of the generic inks, in any combination, make each of the papers even greener. I frankly don't want to tweak and adjust every image if I know I can get a perfect one "out of the box" using the genuine ink on most papers.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:05 PM   #32

rduve,

Did you get those AQX inks yet? How do they look? -Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:32 PM   #33

Ok, this is hopeful. I got the inks from ebay. They were sold as AQX, but it says AcuJet on the package. I took out the Photo Magenta cartridge by Print-Rite that I had in my printer together with seven OEM Canon cartridges and which threw off my whole color balance toward green. Changing out just this one cartridge with the new ink made all the difference in the world and corrected the color. So, now I am very hopeful that their claims on ebay were true and that the other colors will also make a good match. I think I found my brand. Yippie! Will keep you posted as I exchange the other cartridges. There is a website listed on the package. It's http://www.master-ink.com. I think we hit pay dirt.

Rainer

Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:54 PM   #34

Devilwoman, I just tried a b/w print. I am using a combination of genuine Canon ink and the great new generic brand from http://www.master-jet, sold on ebay as AQX inks. The paper is a generic version of the Canon Pro paper that is sold on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...80201&rd=1. This combo gives me perfectly neutral black and white images as well as a perfect color balance. My research finally paid off and I found the perfect combo. Epson photo papers work well, too by the way.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:38 AM   #35

I just changed out the photocyan cartridge and I immediately noticed a slight switch toward green, but not as bad as with other inks. Then I noticed that the ink is not absorbed well by my glossy photo paper. It leaves tiny visible dots.I reprinted the same shot that I printed before with the Canon cartridge and there was a clear difference. It seems to work fine on the Canon Pro paper (the generic version that I use), however, but still not quite asnice of a color balanceas Canon OEM's. Witha warm paper (such as Epson and Canon) this is still the closest ink to the Canon that I have found.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:51 PM   #36

Do you find that you have to do a purge print of some sort when you switch carts or does the new ink take over immediately?

Sounds like you've switched the Magenta and Photo Cyan so far? When do you plan to switch them all to AQX? Seems like that will be the real test.

Did you confirm that the ink tank is larger on these new carts fromall the others? That's an additional savings.

If your results still look good after switching all the carts out for AQX, I'll place my order. Thanks for being the ink explorer on this.

Ed

Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:54 PM   #37

I'm just thinking, I had noticed that with the inkgrabber inks (except for cyan and photo cyan being MIS), that my printing on plain paper was neutral in the grays but on Canon plus and Canon Pro I had the shift to green. Maybe this goes along with what you've been discovering about ink absorption on glossy paper.

I sure hope this works out for all of us.

Ed
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:45 PM   #38

True, plain paper does not seem to be affected by the green shift. I am currently running the AQX inks on the generic version of the Canon Color Pro paper, adjusting the color -5 cyan and +5 magenta. That gives me a pretty good color balance. I am using this to print years of pictures to create a photo album so I am running a pretty heavy volume and that would be costly with OEM cartridges. Once I am done with this project, however, I think I go back to Canon inks since Iwon't print as much anymore.I don't need the headache.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:04 AM   #39

I'm sorry there hasn't been an easy, all inclusive solution to this. I know what you're saying. I don't print all that much and maybe it would be easier just to go back to Canon. Neil Slade is saying now, that Inkgrabber is switching to different manufactureres ink and he thinks the problems may be solved. He will let us all know when inkgrabber officially changes over to the new ink. I'd still like to find a low cost solution, cause I find I'm changing carts so often even though I don't do that much printing.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:26 AM   #40

That's interesting about inkgrabber. I will keep checking on Slade's site. The Acu-Jet (AQX) inks are pretty close, closest I have seen so far. Will keep you posted about my further research. Seems like I am becoming an authority on the subject. A rep over at a vendor where I got my Rite-ink cartridges says he has been following my postings and offered me to send me some new photo paper and their new red and green inks to test. I am going to make some scans for him to back up everything I am saying. And I can post those here too. Good luck in your endeavors toward finding the perfect ink and paper.