Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:33 PM   #51

jdtech410 wrote:
Quote:
It looks like Canon's genuine cartridges are considered overall "Best" from what I've read. However, the cost is substantial compared to other compatible inks. Is anyone familiar with the best source for buying genuine Canon inks at prices better than you'd find at retail stores?

I'd like to get combo packs to save a little extra if those were available.

Best regards - Jim

PS I'm a so-called newbee to digital photography and this forum.
Sam's club has a three pack for a discount over buying them seperately at a local store. I think it comes to a little more than 9 dollars a cartridge. http://www.atlex.com/canon/inkjet_pr...anon-i9900.htm

Atlex seems to have a fair price also. I hope we can find a compatible cartridge as the Canon's dont have a lot of ink in them. :blah:
manycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:46 PM   #52

rduve,

I'm still trying out combinations of canon and AQX ink to try to determine which colors throw off the color balance. The yellow and black seem to be fine, but I've had to go back to Canon for the rest to get back to neutral grays. Still experimenting. One thing I found though, is in the driver-under manual color balance, selecting "Print Type" = None, seems to help get closer. I was using the photo setting and had to make large balance adjustments. With NONE, I have reduced the amount of adjustment. Ever try that? Not sure what happens when it is set to Auto.

eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:49 AM   #53

Thanks for the update, Eddie. I will try that "none" setting. Have not done that before. The people that sell the AQX paper sent me paper sample that are specifically formulated to work with their ink and it worked quite well I found. I still find it has the best color match, but it leans more toward cyan and away from magenta on most glossy papers. Attached is a sample of the same picture printed on the same paper. The upper print is made from all Canon inks. The picture below has the cyan and photo cyans exchanged for AQX inks. You can see the difference. It loses some warmth and saturation, and leans slightly toward cyan.However, on the sample paper they sent the AQX worked as well as the Canon's.

The other day I tried to use a photo magenta from Print-Rite and my sample picture was horribly green right away. I threw it out.

How did the new inkgrabber inkby G&G work for you?

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:26 PM   #54

Interesting. I've just been doing test photo prints and was zeroing in on a good looking test pattern with all AQX prints. Then I tried to print a picture and I got bad cyan streaking all through. So I swapped out for Canon cyan and photo cyan and set all my settings back to nominal except Intensity +15. Now I'm back to green cast in dark shadows.

I'm going through so much 4x6 canon plus paper doing these tests but I figure, in the end if I save having to buy 6 canon carts I will make it up later.

I haven't tried the new inkgrabber carts yet. but someone sent me a profile that's supposed to work with those carts. I tried the profile with the aqx ink and it shifts the dark grays toward the magenta, no more green cast, so maybe thats a good starting place for the any of these inks.

So you've had problems with magenta carts and i've had problems with cyan carts. I hope this isn't a losing battle.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:17 PM   #55

I have a Canon i9900, I refill my cartridges with bulk ink from the following suppliers MIS, Atlas Copy and kbay 2002 http://search.ebay.com/_Printer-Supp...QsassZkbay2002

It dosn't matter what ink or paper combination is in my printer I use Profile Prism to profile my inks/paper for each combination. I have created about 50 profiles for four(4) printers. My prints are right on 99.9% of the time without having to experiment with the combinations. I don't waste ink or paper trying different settings. I know that what you folks are doing takes a lot of time and sometimes gets very frustrating.

Profile Prism http://ddisoftware.com

It's only $79.00 but it requires a decent scanner to use.

To profile a printer it only takes a few minutes, however the printer target you have to scan sould dry for at least one hour or more to allow for color shifts while the ink is drying.
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:31 PM   #56

I too would like to have low cost inks, but...

Does anyone know what the quality of the pictures will be in 1, 2, 5, ... YEARS from now?? Saving a few bucks now, only to have faded, out of balance color, years from now; may be false economy.

Others thoughts or experiences?

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:38 PM   #57

There's been a lot written on this in the forums. My feeling- I can always reprint in a few years if a print fades that I care about. My experience, is that if the pictures are kept in an album behind plastic, fading is almost non-existant. If they are on display I can reprint them if need be.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I might agree about false economy if we were talking about a 10% or 20% difference in price, but we are talking more like 80% difference. You can make a lot of reprints and still be miles ahead. Especially, considering that much of what you might print, will not be on your "Want to keep forever" list. If it fades in 5 or 10 years, we'll all probably be using some new technology that will be better than todays anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed
Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:35 PM   #58

Its been awhile, but I finally put a full set of G&G carts from Inkgrabber in my S9000.I am usingthe G&G profile that was posted awhile back (I can't remember where I got it) and using a custom setup of -5 Magenta, +5 Intensity and the Print Type set to "None".

My initial results are excellent. Blacks have no cast that I can tell. This is with Canon Pro and Plus paper. Eventually, I will be using Kirkland paper, which is what this profile was designed for. But in the meantime, This is the best results I've seen using non-Canon ink. I can finally go ahead and order up some backup carts.

Ed
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:07 AM   #59

Ed,

Are u still using the G&G ink? You said your initial results were good...any problems encountered? I just purchased a Canon i9900 and need to get some ink...

Thanks,

DeAnna
Rubia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:15 AM   #60

Hey, welcome to the discussion. I've had no problems yet with the ink. I do run a nozzle check and clean cycle every so often to make sure they are all working.

Since I have the S9000 with 6 carts, I couldn't find a good profile for that printer. There is a profile out there for the I9100 that you can get for free.

Anyhow, I've ordered Prism Profile this week, from the same folks who make QImage. It will let me make a custom print profile for my ink/paper combination. I'm using the Costco Kirkland paper now which I like very much. PP is only $79 as opposed to spending $40 minimum to buy a single profile. I like also, that once you buy from Inkgrabber, they send you email offers all the time for free shipping or 12% off the order. They seem like a good operation.

Ed