Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:05 PM   #1

I am the new owner of a Canon i9900 printer. The prints generated from the original Canon cartridges were breathtaking in their brilliance, saturation, and color balance. After reading only positive reviews about inkgrabber, I ordered six complete sets of generic ink tanks from them. Last night I ran out of photo cyan and photo magenta, and replaced the empty Canon cartridges with inkgrabber's. I reprinted an image that I had previously printed to compare and noticed a significant color shift toward green. The previously neutral grey was now a light green. I contacted inkgrabber about this, and they are telling me that I cannot mix brands and that once I replaced all cartridges the image would be balanced. However, most of my other cartridges are still almost full.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it true that the color balance is neutral once only inkgrabber are used? I am about ready to return them. I read in another forum that somebody had an issue with the new yellow ink from inkgrabber clogging the printhead. Please let me know your experiences.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:40 PM   #2

rduve, I use a variety of inks (including the one you mentioned) and find them all good. What you are seeing imho is typical, including the canon ink, when installing a fresh cart. It has become a normal part of my routine to do a print head clean, it seems that flushing fresh ink into the print head sponge eliminates the problems. By the way, I have never had a print nozzle to clog, with any ink.
Sammy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 6:49 PM   #3

I read the following article since my posting yesterday: http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html. Seems like the greenish hue is caused by inkgrabber's cyan inks. So far I only replaced the Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta.This alone caused ashift in color toward a colder image on the green side, even after running several cleaning cycles. I am going to try to use different brands for the cyan and photo cyan as recommended in Neil Slade's article. It's not that these inks are bad, but the outcome varies significantly from the image on my monitor. The original Canon inks were right on. I received another brand of generic photo cyan inks today and I will try and see if that makes a difference. If so, I'll return the cyan and photo cyan cartridgesto inkgrabber, but keep the rest since you can't beat the price and the problem seems to be only in the cyans.

Will keep you posted.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:05 PM   #4

rduve, I don't pretend to be an expert. I did chemical color printing for many years and there were always variances. The same is true for inkjet prints. At the moment, there are inkgrabber cyans in my I960. Usually when I get lost (on color casts) setting the color sliders back to zero gets me back to normal (or near) ...
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:08 PM   #5

The article I linked to breaks it down quite well. There are some slight differences among the inks and it's a matter of preference really. I can also always play a little with the color settings to get it perfect. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:27 PM   #6

Yeah, Slade puts out some good stuff. Imho the differences he speaks of would be comparabe to viewing a print under cold light (fluorsecent) or warm (tungsten). Well it's been a long time since starting the day at 3AM. Goodnight.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:58 PM   #7

I have had the same problem with my S9000 using the Inkgrabber Inks. At Neil's suggestion, I bought 2 each of the MIS cyan and photo cyan.I did not see any improvement. Then I checked all the carts visually and found that the magenta cart from Inkgrabber had a dry sponge even though the cart was full. I swapped it out for a new inkgrabber cart. Ran a couple of cleaning cycles. It has improved but still is not as neutral as the original Canon ink. Not sure what to try next.

I did find that if I print a test pattern on plain paper, the grays were very neutral but the same test pattern on Canon photo plus came out with the cool, green cast. Has anyone tried this experiment? Any suggestions.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:42 PM   #8

I went back to a full set of Canon inks to get back to the original color balance. Next up I will try to replace other ink tanks than the photo cyan and cyan with generics from Print-Rite to keep my costs down and see how that works. Paper is another issue. I found that Plain paper has a much warmer, toward magenta leaning cast than most glossy papers. Epson Photo Glossy paper is also warmer than the Canon Photo Papers, but with the Canon inks they areboth great. Stay away from HP Premium Glossy, doesn't work well, especially with any generic inks. I am currently using the photo glossy paper from Shop4Tech. Itcomes outvery rich, saturated and crisp, however definitely leaning toward a greenish hue, compared to let's say Epson Photo Paper. But all within a tolerable range.

Does anyone has experience with the Print-Rite inks? Are they a closer color match than inkgrabber?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:41 PM   #9

I had the same thought. Go back to Canon, get everything working right again and then change out one cart at a time. Maybe Black and Yellow first. I might try a full set of MIS carts and see how they do. They are $5 each, more than Inkgrabber but less than Canon. I don't know. Hard to decide what approach to take. I don't do a lot of printing but my carts seem to get low whether I use the printer or not.

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:10 PM   #10

Thanks. Keep me posted about your experiences. Also with paper. I found that the SMART Kromekote paper advertised on ebay actually works pretty well even though they say it is incompatible with the Canon i9100. Also, try the paper from shop4tech.com. Very crisp and well saturated, , just a little cooler than the Glossy Epson paper I was using. Epson Semi-glossy paper is hands-down the best paper in terms of colr richness and saturation.

Bank to the ink: I am about to run out of Canon PhotoCyan and will replace it with a cartridge from Print-Rite. Let's see if is better than inkgrabber's. My inkling is that a lot of generic ink manaufacturer's use the same formula for the photo Cyan as in the Caon BCI-3 rather than BCI-6 cartridge. While this cartridge fits, the ink is way greener. I learned it the hard way since I inadvertently put a BCI-3 cartridge into the printer and it approximated the hue of the ingrabber ink. Then I replaced it with the BCI-6 and it was perfect. Interesting, eh?