Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:28 PM   #11

For my eye, the Ilford Profile that gave me the best results with the Kirkland Glossy from Costco were:

iP5000 = Ilford Smooth High Gloss

i960 = Almost a toss-up between the Smooth Gloss and the Smooth High Gloss, with my preference at the moment going for Smooth Gloss.

I would like to say that the other profiles produced sometimes widely varying results on the same paper, differing from printer to printer. You might wish to try them all, but be forwarned, this uses a lot of ink & Paper.

Brief summary of my findings:

iP5000, Ilford Classic Gloss = too much Red, Ilford Matte =Green Cast, Ilford Smooth Gloss = a little too warm in flesh tones and Ilford Smooth High Gloss = Very Good

i960, Ilford Classic Gloss = Red Cast, Ilford Matte = Red cast (less) but loss of resolution, Ilford Smooth Gloss = Very Good, and Ilford Smooth High Gloss = Very Good.

I would like to note that I used ThumbsPlus 7 to obtain these results going to Options/Viewing/Color Managment/ to select & load the Printer Profile I wanted. I also selected under Rendering Intent = Perceptual (Picture). I could not detect any differences in shading or color balance when choosing under Rendering Intent either Relative Colorimetric (Proof) or Absolute Colorimetric (Match) and printing my target Photo. Your personal experience may vary.

Other Photo Applications will vary in Color management setup.

If printing from Windows Print Wizard in XP, you may go to Start/Printers & Faxes/iP5000 or your printer/Properties/ColorManagment/ and check "Manual", select profile, then click "Default" or "Apply"

I did notice a small color difference between the two printers when using the same settings.

The iP5000 produced slightly richer Greens & Browns and a hair darker Reds, Gold & Purple. This resulted in an ever so slight Warmer Skin tone than the i960. Not really enough to complain about.

Hope this information will save some time, paper, ink and all in all, money and give you the results you are looking for.

dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:53 AM   #12

Dishinit,

Thank you for your work. You did indeed save me a lot of time and paper. I did stray from your instructions some. First I let PS handle my colour management and not windows. Secondly I followed Ilford's instructions for Smooth High Gloss paper and selected Photo Paper Plus Glossy rather than Photo Paper Pro. Unless that is a difference between the 4000 and the 5000.

Mind you I have niether! I have the Canon Pixma MP 750. The ip4000 appears to be the closest standalone printer to the MP 750 so I tried it's profile and followed your advice to great success!

I guess what I am trying to say is thank you. Also what difference did you see between the different paper type selections?

Thanks,
David
David Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:36 AM   #13

David,

Glad you found my experiment to your benifit.

The selection of Photo Paper Pro on the iP5000, allows you to set print quality to Custom(1) which on this printer gives you 1pl droplet size. Any other paper settings you will default to 2pl droplet size, 1 is not even an available selection.

On the iP4000 & the i960, the smallest Ink droplet size is 2PL with Print Quality=Custom(1). I am not familiar with the specs for your printer.

I will look back over my notes to see if I can better answer yourquestion regarding other paper settings using the same profiles. My use of Photo Paper Pro Media Type selection on the iP5000, was to get the finest ink droplet size and achieve the best results.

I can say that when using Matte paper, the Media Type settings selectiondid have effect onprint quality. By the way, I just received some paper samples from freephotopaper.com and am very impressed with their IP 9mil Matte Double Sided paper. I got great resultsusing no color management/printer profilesand just using Canon printer preference settings.

ThumbsPlus 7 has selectable Color managemant capabilities built into the program similar to PS CS. My comments about how to select printer profiles in XP were for those of us who may not have a program that has color management capabilities.

Just one further note, do not use Canon Easy-Photoprint if you want to personally adjust your printer preferences. From what I understand, this progrom overides the preferences you may have chosen and substitutes through software it's own settings which may or may not be what you want!

Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:23 PM   #14

Dishinit,

On paper, and now limited experience as the profile worked for me, the ip4000 is the same as the MP 750. Before finding this thread, which brought me to Steve's Forums, I poured over Canon's site looking for the closest match as no one has profiles for my printer yet. I was left with one choice given that the Pixma Series is new, "FINE" is new, and the description quite explicitly states that the MP 750 has 1856 nozzels that squirt 2pL of ink. The ip4000 is it

Oh one other thing I got from both you and Ilford that I was completely unaware of before is that one must select None for the Print Type. What happened for you if/when you left that as photo?

Thanks again,
David
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:15 PM   #15

David,

I believe (someone enlightenme if I am mis-informened about this) that when you select "Photo" rather than "None" the Canon Print Driver thenselects it's own "optimum settings" for Media Type, and "Photo" reproduction. This would then contradict/conflict withthe custom ICCProfile settings you have selected.

I can say that myself, and at least one other when printing with the iP5000, noticed a blue/green cast in printswhen using Kirkland Glossy paper and Canon Printer preference settings (including the "Photo" setting) and not usingthe appropiate Ilford ICCProfile.

As to your question to me earlier regarding what experiments/results did I get if I was selecting different "media types", I now recall that I did not pursue other "media type" selections, as anything other than Photo Paper Pro would not allow me to get the 9600dpi x 2400dpi (1pl droplet size) I was looking for.

Perhaps you would want to do this? If you do,you may want to wait several hours, and view ithe print indaylight to report your findings.I noticed a shift in color balance as the ink dried just between Ilford Smooth Glossy and Ilford Smooth High Glossy profiles on this same re-branded Ilford paper and the iP5000 (all other prtint settings being identical). I did not see as quite as strong a shift (minimal) on my i960? Strange, They both use the same inks with the exception of the 2 extra (PM-PC) for the i960, and Pigment black for the iP5000.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:25 AM   #16

I ran across a very simple PDF that really is very helful on setting up a Canon I series or Pixma Printer:

http://www.photokaechler.com/files/C...file_Guide.pdf

Great reference to properly use either Printer Color Management or ICC Print Profiles with your Canon Printer. Oriented towards Photoshop, but settings will work in any Editing/Printing application that features Color Management Control.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:19 AM   #17

Thank you for providing the url to the canon guide.

The problem with Colour Management is that there are so many different ways to use it and so many different places to set it up. Unfortunately there is no mixing of ways or places I am a techie and I was confused by the whole ordeal.

I missed the print type = none part of the canon guide. I downloaded that a while back, but cannot find the original canon link now. Ahh I may never have looked at the second section Printing using intents to suit requirements. That section is compatible to the way I had PS set up.

One interesting difference between the Ilford guide and the Canon guide is that canon wants the Use Black Point Compensation unchecked.

Thanks again,
David

Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:34 PM   #18

dishinit: Tried your suggested profile on Kirkland I bought from Costco and I'm very impressed with the color/skin tone (I'm using Canon i960). Thanks very much for the help.

One qustion I have for your guys: do you normally print 8x10 on 8.5x11 paper or just print to the full size borderless. What I tried is to crop the photo I had (3:2 ratio) into a fixed 10:8 size, reszie the photo and print. However, the photo does not come out in the center and I have some edge that need to cut out. Can someone explain the detailed steps to print either 8x10 or 8.5x11 in Photoshop.

thanks in advance

Perry
pchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 5:43 PM   #19

pschew;

I am still learning photoshop and use Qimage to print photoshop corrected images. But here is what I would do in Photoshop; with my corrected (landscape) image I would go to print with preview/page setup//printer/properties/and check "borderless" on Landscaped oriented 8-1/2" X 11 paper (this is to get a centered print). Say OK, OK, OKuntil you come back to print withpreview. With Borderless checked, you can print a centered landscape 8 X 10 image, bytyping in"10.000" in the Scaled Print Width box. Make sure you have checked Center Image. Then to get a slighly larger print still centered on your page, go back toage setup/printer/properties/and uncheck Borderless. Then OK, OK, OK and you will see a centered, slightly larger print. I always check print preview in my printer preferences to ensure that my about to be printed image, is located where & how I want.

Using Qimage makes it easier. Qimage may be found here:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Do not downsize your images in photoshop. Use Qimage to properly size and locate image on page. You can even do custom sized borderless prints with Qimage on odd sized paper.

See this thread for an idea on this:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=57
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:08 AM   #20

dishinit: thanks so much for the detailed explanation. Looks like Qimage is worth a trial. I will give it a shot.

Best
pchew is offline   Reply With Quote