Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:45 AM   #1

Anyone using Kirkland Photo paper with a Canon ip5000?

What settings work the best?

I've tried "Pro, High, Auto" recommended settings and "Pro Fine Auto" but prints seem to be a bit on the green/yellow side (Adobe color mgt. off). I have been using Ilford Smooth Gloss with PS Elements 3 (Adobe color mgt. on, SRGB) and Ilford profile with good results. Tried Ilford profile with Kirkland paper and got poor results.

Any recommendations using windows print wizard, Easy Photo Print or Adobe color mgt.?

Thanks,

Steve

steve222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:41 PM   #2

Steve, I would agree with your assesment using Photo Paper Pro setting.

For Kirkland Glossy Paper, I use:

Media Type = Photo Paper Plus Glossy

Print Quality = 2

Color Adj = Manual -- Intensity +5 to +10 (depending on photo),

ICM = unchecked

Type = Photo, Brightness = Normal

Effects = Vivid Photo, Photo Optimized, Throughout

But truthfully I prefer Matte or Satin Paper. Withthe samesettingsusing:

Media Type = Mat Paper,

I get richer more balanced color that seem to pop off the page.

Have you tried ACDSee Powerpack 7? In their edit/print program you can resample to 600DPI and print. Slows down the print process but may give you the higher print quality you are looking for with Canon Driver settings of on Photo Paper Plus Glossy and Print Quality = 2 (highest you can manually set).

By the way, Canon Easy Photo Print somehow overides any custom settings you may haveadjusted in Printer Preferences, I do not use it.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:30 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply,

I will give your settings a try.

I have also had good results with matte paper (Epson matte).

SinceI have had this printer I keep changing driver settings and papers, looking for the best combination. The Costco/Kirkland paper seems like a great deal but have not been able to dial it in yet.

Thanks,

Steve

Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:25 PM   #4

Steve, I am re-thinking those settings I suggested after viewing trial prints in daylight.

Try this with Photo Paper Pro setting, Print Quality = Custom (1)

Let me know what you think?

Update, I am still not pleased with my results. I need to change cartridges out and start over. Perhaps someone else with Kirkland Glossy Paper experience will join in?

Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:35 PM   #5

Thanks again for your help.

I tried your second set of settings, but the prints came out to dark and colors looked a little dull. So I decided to return the Kirkland paper to Costco and went to Sam's Club and purchased some more Ilford Smooth Gloss.

I played around with the driver settings a bit more and without using Adobe Color mgnt. I think I've found the best settings for Ilford Sooth Gloss and Pearl.

Pro, Fine (1), +5 Magenta, -8 Yellow, +4 Intensity

Perfect flesh tones and color saturation! These settings also work great for Epson
Premium Glossy too. I can finally say I'm happy with the output of my ip5000.

Steve
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:27 PM   #6

Steve,

Tha's Great!

Since I had to change carts on my i5000 and did want to open a new set, I swapped from my i960 (same BC-6-Y, C, M, Bk) to my i5000, as I had some 3rd party inks for the i960I wanted to try(G & G-Yellow Box), I was quite suprised when I replaced the Orginal Yellow &Magenta in the i960 with the G & G (all other ink in i960, OEM).

I printed out a color match image against the i5000.

Using i960 with a mixed ink set, the Costco Kirkland Glossy paper, it gave very good results with the following:

Media Type = Photo Plus Glossy, Print Quality = Custom(1), Color Adj = Custom with magenta = -5, all others = 0, Intensity = 0, No ICM, Type = Photo, Normal = Bright, Effects = No Vivid, Image Opt, Photo Opt- throughout. Gave good skin tones &no Blue Green tint.I think I'll hold on to the Kirkland paper.As I switch back & forth with these printers, I'll do some more experiments with the i5000 and post my results.

Egads, Daylight again! There is still a perceptable color shift in the Kirkland Paper towards Blue on the i960. Interesting enough, using Steves Epson settings on my iP5000 (all OEM inks) with the Kirkland Glossy, produced more pleasing results (although, with a shift towards green) I am inclined to reduce intensity to "0".

Back to the color wheel.

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:13 PM   #7

Ok, Ibelieve I have got it. I used the Ilford CanonProfileswith both my i960 & ip5000 (printer specific) on Kirkland Glossy from Costco.

Ilford Profiles for Mac & PC can be downloaded here:http://ilford.com/html/us_english/prod_html/Galerie/IJProfiles/default.asp

For my iP5000, the Ilford Smooth High Gloss profile works best

For my i960, it's a bit of a toss up between Smooth Gloss & Smooth High Gloss, with my preference for Smooth Gloss.

With each profile download, it instucts you as to where the file should be placed in your directory (in XP, right click the profile and click install). In XP, Select the correct profile under Printers/Properties/Color Management or within your Photo Application.

The followingsettings are true for both printers:

Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:15 PM   #8

iP5000 & Kirkland Glossy continued:
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:15 PM   #9

iP5000 & Kirkland Glossy continued, Important to select "None":
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:18 PM   #10

iP5000 & Kirkland Glossy continued (with Effects, I tested with Vivid On & Off, really a matter of preference):
Attached Images