Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:22 PM   #1

I am a realtor and I had an idea for a marketing promotion. I want to go out and take pictures of each home in a neighborhood,then send it out as a postcard with a message on it. I am not sure exactly how to pull this off. I have an epson picture mate photo printer that prints 4x6 photos. The epson photo paper that comes with it can only be printed onone side. I would need to get another paper and glue the photo on, or get a different paper that can be printed on both sides. I also need to keep the cost down. Any ideas on paper or another way to go about this would be appreciated.
Maryocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2

Not having a PictureMate, I am not sure this will work?

Get some double sided Matte Paper, cut to 4" x 6" size, Print Post Card writing side 1st, turn over then print Picture side. Hopefully, should work.

Let us know?
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:26 AM   #3

Could I get matte paper that would make it through the mail. I believe the printer will print on the matte paper. Also where could I get the paper cheap enough.
Maryocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:02 PM   #4

Here is a site you could check....They offer double sidied glossy as well:

http://www.freephotopaper.com/

I am awaiting a free sample pack of their paper for my own evaluation. Ask them about it.

As far as Double Sided Matte, I use Epson.

How will it survive the mail? You'll have to experiment.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:54 PM   #5

check the epson web site. i think i saw something about postcard size paper being available, though i forget for which printers.
ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6

Maryocon - I'm also a realtor, and would be keen to hear how your campaign idea works out for you. I have some photographically-challenged competitors in my area and have been toying with this idea and variations of it.
lhtorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:45 PM   #7

I made business cards for all of the officers in an organization I belong to. I used a light tan index stock. I also have some bright white (96 whiteness) index stock I think I picked up at Office Depot. That would be more appropriate for what you are doing. The label says it is acid free, so it shouldn't shift the colors.

I cut them after they were printed. The business cards didn't have borders, so I printed a sheet with borders to set up the trimmer. Once I got it right for the first cut I made the same cut on all the pages. Then repeated it for the other cuts. Postcards would be easier. If you do 4 X 5.33 you can put 4 on a single sheet.

I print lots of stuff on index stock including postcards. The thing that really makes them look great is a light coat of clear spray paint. It gives a nice surface and brings out the colors. It also somewhat waterproofs them – at least against damp fingers. I use the buck a can stuff from Wal Mart. It dries fast and works well. It is easier to spray them before you cut them out.

It is definitely cost effective and stuff really looks great after you spray them. You would need a paper trimmer. If your printer does borderless on 8.5 X 11 I would put the cards in the corners so the cuts aren't as critical.

Edit – I just noticed you don't have a regular inkjet but are limited to 4 X 6. You would have to cut them up first of course and spray them separately. A little more hassle. It would be a lot easier with a regular photo inkjet. And a lot cheaper with a Canon so you could easily refill the cartridges.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote