Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1

Today was doing some Spring cleaning and I found a couple of old, but unopened HP51649A Inkject Print Cartridges. One has an "Install Before" date of JUL 1998 and the other's is MAR 1999. I was just curious whether these might still be good. Has anyone used an inkjet cartridge this old before? I was thinking of selling them on eBay since I can't use them but I didn't want to sell something that might damage someone's printer or not be useable.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

I'm not speaking from expertize, nor authority, but from mere experience here. I have an old DeskJet 500(B/W only) which uses the 51626 cartridges. A few years ago, I actually "parked" the old DJ when I ran out of ink in a cartridge. I got sick or running out of ink at the worst times and pulled out an old dot matrix printer to do my "grunt" printing. Still keep the DMP plugged in as well, but after finding some 26a carts at Goodwill for about $1 each, I decided to give the ol' DJ another chance...this time as a mere backup printer. I also have a B/W laser printer and a Canon color inkjet(i860), so have plenty of choices, and use each one for various uses. Spreads the expense out some. Anyway, being the DJ500 isn't a "frontline" printer anymore, I don't mind using older or even 3rd party carts for it. It's been a good printer and anymore use out of it is free(well, almost)use to me! So the Goodwill finds were nice! One has an expiration date of 2000, the other 2002. I installed the 2000 cart last year and still using it. Works great! Haven't gotten to the 2002, nor the two 3rd party ones I got for a few bucks on clearance at Target some months back. I won't count on all of them working perfectly, but so far, so good! And I've got lots of ink to go....

Again, not sure if it's proper or right, but it's an old printer and I don't care as much if it is wise or not. I would be far more reticent to do so with my i860 though! But the 49 carts you mentioned, probably are for older printers anyway, so anyone using them would not be risking a new high priced printer. I'd sure be willing to buy if the price were right and they fit my printer!

I've seen "expired" carts on Ebay in the past. Don't recall what they go for, but I'd research it to see what you could offer them for. Be sure to mention the expiry date in the listing if you list them. If you can't get much for them, consider donating to a local thrift store, or charity or something. But someone should be able to make use of them....better than tossing them! Sorry for the long reply, but hope hit helps some...

Michael
EskiePages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3

No that was very helpful, thanks for the reply.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote