Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:28 AM   #1

As most of you know Kodak 4x6 paper isn't 4x6, its 4x6.50.

I don't know why they add another .50 of an inch. anyway when I print I go into the driver and set it the way kodak reccomends on there website, I set paper size to custom and put in 4x6.50, however I can't enable borderless printer when I do that. if I enable borderless printing I only get an option for letter, 4x6 and 5x7 not custom. so when I print i get mybe a 1/4 inch border around the picture, which isn't really a big deal, however I want to print borderless. I have a canon i960, any ideas.

thanks.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Get different paper. The Canon paper goes on sale for 1/2 price at some locations ie Staples, Best buy, etc.
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:01 PM   #3

Hi, several papers are sold4 X 6½ inches with "tear-off tab". Some printers require that to print borderless (not the Canon I960). I don't know other way to print 4X6 borderless prints : selecting "borderless" enables only 4 X 6, 5 X 7, letter and A4 on my I960 too. You have to trim the extra ½ inch.
Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4

I finially figured it out. I have to use 5x7 size borderless, then it relativly works. the picture gets croped a little. so I think I will just set it with custom at 4x6.50 and normal printing. it prints with a 1/8 border around the image but it's not terrible and still looks good. I want to use the Kodak ultama mainly for scrapbooking since it supposed to last over 100 years. I use microsoft digital imageing suite 10.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:45 PM   #5

I recently went from the canon i960 to the Epson 2200 primarily due to longevity issues. While the Kodak papers may claim longevity, they do not state the actual printer used to achieve that rating or the ink type. And the testing conditions used are, apparently, not standard. The best reference for longevity is http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ , which really does not list this combination in their research. The Kodak Edge generations and Royal Generations on Noritsu printers only get a rating of 19 years, and the Noritsu is a very high end printer, so I would dare to say that the Canon would be less. Royce Bair of InkJetArt has this article regarding Kodak papers & the methods they use to rate the longevity http://www.wilhelm-research.com/koda...estMethods.pdf

This is a complex and opinionated subject, so what I did was to use Wilhelm Research as the authority and use their testing results to make my decisions on papers, inks, and inkjets. They are an independent lab and well regarded in the industry.

So, if you are looking for loooong lasting prints, i think you may have to do a little research and possibly give some thought to different equipment. (BTW, I love my i960, brilliant fast prints, but they do not stand the test of time or exposure...)

dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6

Just don't buy Kodak paper, or buy the true 4x6 paper. If it is 4x6.5 it will have a * on the front and a disclaimer on the back. It will also be advertised as "works with all inkjet printers".

What this means is it lets a printer that cannot print borderless make a true 4x6 with borders. For true borderless printers, you are just stuck with a white tab. After I printed a picture on my ip4000 and saw this, I sent a messege to Kodak and asked if there is a way to fic this. They said no, it is by design so I promptly took it back and got some canon paper which looks 5x better anyway.

Oh, and if you print 5x7 on 4x6.5 paper, that is wasting a lot of ink with overspray. All that overspray might gunk up the printer after a while.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote