Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

Hi,

"Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper is not Compatible with Durabrite inks"

This is a quote from an Epson document. I spoke with an Epson Tech about the meaning and he said there were no tests to indicate how long prints from this paper/ink combination would last. Does anyone have any idea or experience? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? Any educated guesses?

Thanks.

bpalmer
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

Use the new "Durabrite Ink Glossy Photo Paper". It's supposed to be formulated for the Durabrite inks. I've been using the "Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper" in my Epson C80 with Durabrite ink. The only problem I see with it is the black looks a little ghosty when held at an angle. It dosen't "shine" like the colors. Other than that, It works great.

For long time storage or archival purposes, you should use matte papers anyway. According to Epson, the Durabrite inks are good for 55-80+ years. This of course depends on paper, method of display and storage. It seems ozone and light are the enemies of any photo, including Epson inks.

One thing for sure, the inks are great. I printed some Instruction Labels for a tractor I built in January. I printed them on a sheet of plain old white label stock. The tractor sits outside in the rain and sun. So far, only the label itself has shown some wrinkling. The ink (Red, Yellow and Black) are as brite as the day I printed them.

Attached Images

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote