Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:14 PM   #1

I am new to this forum and I think it's great! What brought me to this forum was the fact that when I ran a nozzle check on my Canon i850, I found that cyan was not operating properly. (my i850 is only about 18 months old, and I don't print an exorbitantamount of prints). Utilizing all sorts of advice and links that I found on this forum, I was still not able to fix the problem. Alas, instead of paying for a new printhead,I went and purchased the i960 from Tiger Direct for almost the same price as the printhead. So, now that I have a brand new printer, I had two questions (actually I have alot of questions, but I'll start with these two)

1) Is there a consensus as far as how often to clean the printheads using theprinter software cleaning tool? I want to try to utilize preventative maintenance to avoid another problem with the printhead. (i.e. clean after x days or after x prints or after x days of non-use, etc.)

2) A store called "Cartridge World" recently opened up near me. I guess they're a chain.They refill your ink cartridge while you wait (although they usually have the popular ones refilled already). They must havehundreds oftypes of inks in their back room. The owner tells me that his Canon ink utilizes the exact same chemistry as the OEM Canon ink. He gets the ink from some manufacturer in Germany. I have no reason to doubt his claims. Has anyone had any experience with Cartridge World or their ink?

Thank you

photoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:55 PM   #2

Canon printers run their own cleaning cycles regularly. If you use the printer regularly it won't usually clog.

I have my default set for grayscale, so the color doesn't always get used for text. If I haven't printed something in color for a couple of weeks I just run a nozzle check which uses very little ink but runs a little color through. I've never had problems with either of my Canons.

I fill my own cartridges with good ink. It is very easy with Canons. No aftermarket ink is exactly the same as the Canon ink. But some are so close that they work fine. I have read that if the chemists get it exactly the same they get sued by the printer manufacturer. That might not be true, but I have seen a lot of comparative tests and none are exactly the same.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:52 AM   #3

hi slipe,
Maybe you can shred a little light for me. I was interested in this post because I just got a new ip5000 and was wondering about re-filling once I got a complete set of empty tanks.

I can well understand being in the UK the 'goal post' is going to be shifted alittle because of makes of inks etc. compared to what is available in U.S.

I was wondering if it was good advice to stick to 'formulated inks'' as opposed to 'universal iinks', as you know Epson uses a peizo head and Canon a thermal head, implying that Canon boils the ink and Epson does'nt.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4

You absolutely want to avoid universal inks except possibly the pigmented black for your large tank. You couldn't even use the color inks from the HP 800 series in the 900 with good results because HP reformulated the ink. The inks specially formulated for certain printers aren't exact, but they are miles better than universal inks.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

Slipe..can you please elaborate on your statement "Canon printers run their own cleaning cycles regularly. If you use the printer regularly it won't usually clog."

How often do they run a cleaning cycle? Do they run a cleaning cycle everytime the printer is started up or an ink cartridge is replaced? I'd love to find the technical documentation for this. Any idea where I can find it?

thank you.

Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:14 PM   #6

Here is a link to a document that covers your i850 and gives the amount of ink used for various cleaning cycles and when they are run.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/ref...ce%20Manual/23
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:43 PM   #7

photoNY wrote:
Quote:
How often do they run a cleaning cycle? Do they run a cleaning cycle everytime the printer is started up or an ink cartridge is replaced? I'd love to find the technical documentation for this. Any idea where I can find it?

I don't really know. Every once in a while it delays a print and I hear a lot of work going on in the printer. It is my understanding that is a cleaning cycle. It does run a cleaning cycle when you change cartridges.

I haven't printed anything for three days so I printed something. It ran the cleaning cycle because it hadn't been used for a while. I put the paper back in and printed again without it going through the cycle. It is pretty obvious when it is running cleaning cycles.

I just turned mine off and back on. It is hard to tell whether it is running a cleaning cycle or some alignment tests. It does a lot of messing around both when I turn it off and when I turn it back on. I seldom turn it off.

I have no idea where you could find a paper. I looked on HP, Epson and Canon for technical papers on something else. They don't release a lot of information. When you ask "how does it work", they answer "fine".

Someone posted a technical paper from an independent firm a few months back that referred to the cleaning cycles. The main thrust of the paper was that HP printers don't have to run regular cleaning cycles because they park the heads against a moist pad. Canons and Epsons by comparison use ink in the regular cleaning cycles. I think the post has fallen off the time line that forum search will find. I do know Canons run regular cleaning cycles and am pretty sure that is what it is doing when I haven't printed for a while. If I am printing a large manual it sometimes stops and sounds like it is running the cycle as well. So my guess is that it goes by either time or pages according to which occurs first.

Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:36 PM   #8

grandad35...thank you very much for that excellent link. I actually have the i960 now, but I would think the i950 explanation is similar.

So...per my first post...does anyone have any experience with Cartridge World or their inks??

thank you all again