Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:05 PM   #11

I've been using the InkjetGoodies inks for over 2 years in various Canon printers, i550, i865, ip3000, ip4000, ip6000D and now an ip8500.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My main workhorse has been the 865i, this goes through a set of carts in about 3 to 4 weeks, so over the 2 years I've been refilling it I must have used at least 25 sets of refills, apart from one proble with a leaky cyan cartridge no problems at all. The cyan cartridge problem swamped the head in cyan ink, all I did was take out the head, run cold water through it until it ran clear :-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:47 PM   #12

I have a Canon ip5000 and often thought about refilling and third party inks, as my printer has'nt clogged yet in over three months think I'll stick with OEM's as every print has been perfect.

When it comes to refilling I'm a newbie here, the ink I understand that people are using successfully in refilling is the 'formulated inks', formulated for a Canon printer, universal ink is not the one to be using as I seem to inderstand.

Epsons print's by gravity and squirting ink on the paper, a Canon printer prints by 'boiling the ink', the air in the bubble expands and burst's which end's up on the paper'.

You can say Epson's are a 'cold ink' whilst Canon has to boil, there has in my view gotta be a difference between the two in formulation and maybe chemestry and not forgetting viscosity.

Ink I understand is a bit like oil there are different grades, abit like putting deisel in a gasolene driven engine for example, with the ink you have the dye's thickness and the pigment molecule size all these has to be 'fired' through micro fine nozzles.

As you may have noticed with various ink brands, or even OEM inks on differing paper produces different results, the alcholine and acidity of the ink and paper is only one factor here.

It ought to be noted some inks are water based and some are alcohol, this alone would indicate a different 'boiling point' if used in a 'bubble jet' printer as opposed to a 'ink jet' printer.

Davy

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 8:22 AM   #13

I am happy to report that I bought some Ink Rite inks and these are only 1/2 a Gnats knacker away from the Canon ones, see another post in this forum for comparitive pictures.

Previous to my Canon printer I used an Epson 760 which I had for about 8 years, all that went wrong with it was; I had to replace the on/off switch with one from Radio Spares.

I always used Ink Rite inks init and I used it at 3 or 4 times every week. Eventually the paper transport failed and so I bought the Canon iP4000. The Canon prints are slightlybetter than the Epson, but I do have to look closely!

Regards - Jem
jemraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:18 PM   #14

I used UK's Choice Stationary in the past when I used an Epson and always got good results. Then I changed to anHP and used an alternative supplier because Choice stopped selling refill kits.

Now I've changed to a Canon ip4000, so I'll give them a try again. They still don't do refills- only replacement cartridges. But with replacements for the ip4000 at only £1.50 each including VAT and postage, who needsrefills?

You can get them here. Take a lookat their very generous guarantee terms.

http://www.choicestationery.com/index.html

pebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:37 AM   #15

I can also vouch for Choice, good quality ink and excellent after sales service if you need it. I'll stick to refilling though, 20p per cartridge instead of £1.50 :-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:11 PM   #16

I've been using Inkgrabber inks for a few months on my Canon S9000. All of a sudden, it seems the ink is just running through the head and filling up the well where the cartridge rests. I changed to a new set of Ingrabber carts and it is doing the same thing. I think its either the cyan or black or both. I'm cleaning the head now with windex and will start new again. I hate to go buy a set of canon carts if this problem is not just an ink problem.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Ed
eddie_kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:14 PM   #17

phaedra1106 wrote:
Quote:
I can also vouch for Choice, good quality ink and excellent after sales service if you need it. I'll stick to refilling though, 20p per cartridge instead of £1.50 :-)
I'd like to try them, but who supplies in the UK?
pebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:00 AM   #18

I use Ink Rite inks now in my iP4000 and find them very good. In the UK you can get them for about £1.50 I buy mine from My Memory: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/index.php

It doesn't look as though Ink Rite do refill packs though, a search on Google revealed only Print Rite inks which I fiind badly out of kilter with the Canon ones.

The Ink Rite ones however are very good, I've attached a couple of pics, the one with the black dot is the Canon one.

Jem

----------------¬
My Photopolymer Etchings;
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread
Attached Images

jemraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:09 PM   #19

If your UK based and can get hold of Colourjet inks they are also very good and consistant. I profile my paper sets and inks, they stay consistant through different batches over time.

I understand earlier this year they had some form of buy out of director over in japan or china cant remember. I got very worried over quality, but now I have a mixture of pre and current ownership change and have not had to re profile.

I run a canon i965 and have had it for over a year. Not sure on technical state of print head all I can say is it still prints exceptionally good prints and only if it has stood still for a fortnight do i have to run a basic headclean.

I have tried three other third party ink sets for this printer but have stayed with these for the last 8 months.

SMudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:51 AM   #20

yes same problem in ip8500 photo prints aaare coming out nothing like the screen shots i think itis the cheap ink.

delock is offline   Reply With Quote