Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:11 PM   #1

I have tried some cheap ink refill kits for all colours on my canon pixma3000, and it's not been good. Compared to the proper canon ink, the quality is appauling. Has anyone found this? It's a false economy. I thought it was my printer packing in, but the white lines and wierd blues etc must be down to the crap ink quality. This happened as soon as I refilled my cartriges. Anyone experience similar?
Katybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:56 PM   #2

Katybean wrote:
Quote:
I have tried some cheap ink refill kits for all colours on my canon pixma3000, and it's not been good. Compared to the proper canon ink, the quality is appauling. Has anyone found this? It's a false economy. I thought it was my printer packing in, but the white lines and wierd blues etc must be down to the crap ink quality. This happened as soon as I refilled my cartriges. Anyone experience similar?

generic inks can be a game of luck if you don't go with a known source, like Megatoner or swiftink. I've bought the cheapest I could find before, and had zero problems. And I've had problems with some more expensive ones. Now, if I go aftermarket I buy from a rep. company.

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:45 PM   #3

Yikes! Such a lottery it seems. Have bought a batch of Canonones again (at great expense) just to be sure the printers ok. Thank you for your reply.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:10 AM   #4

If you're in the USA have a look at www.inkjetgoodies.com I've been using their Media Street comp. inks to refill my Canons for over 2 years with perfect results, works out around $2 to fill a full set (40c per cart.)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:00 PM   #5

Thanks for suggestion. I guess some are good, some not so good. I live in the UK, but in due course will be researching into the best alternatives to canon. Maybe I'll stick with them. I use the prints for work......so qualityis veryimportant. Cheers!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:08 AM   #6

Hi Katybean :-)I'm in the UK as well, I've used/supplied a lot of different printers over the last 20 years and find the current Canon printers to be the best for overall quality, running costs and reliability. I'm lucky as we holiday in the US and have friends there so I can get the ink shipped to them and collect it when we visit, Inkjetgoodies used to ship to the UK but used UPS and the shipping charges plus import duty and Vat doubled the cost of the ink!.

Which comp. inks have you tried?, I know IMJet are not very good in Canons.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:57 AM   #7

Hi Phaedra thanks for your other reply! The refill kit I have used for all colours is Euroink, or Eur-oink as I call it! The cyan is peculiar to say the least. The image quality worried me most of all, as I thought my relatively new printer was playing up. I put it down to poor ink though. Also, I noticed the cartridges run empty incredibly quickly.........once I insert all my new canon cartriges, I will let you know how things go. Thanks awfuly for your help!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:00 PM   #8

I've got a Canon iP4000 and bought some Inkrite ink from Inkraider, I notice that my pictures now have a blue and pinkish cast upon them, trying to alter this in the printer driver software only makes for a weak print.

I'vealtered it by using the following in the Canon software'

Cyan = -8
Magenta = -16
Yellow = +5
blacK = 0
Intensity = +5

But the prints are now a little weak looking compared with the originals, has anyone else had better results with cheap inks that are available in the UK?

Jem
jemraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:58 AM   #9

Katybean wrote:
Quote:
I don't hit this forum often, thought this might come in handy.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12198835

someone took the time to do some samples of different makes of ink. Should give you some idea of some of the options out there. OCP and Formulabs might be available at a UK place called cartridgeworld but I don't know for a fact.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:03 AM   #10

One thing to watch with generic inks for Canon is your throughput volume.

I'm on my second print head on my S820 - the first one clogged up on generic inks (7dayshop brand).

The explanation from Canon (who did replace the printhead under warranty - kudos to them) was that generic inks do not contain coolant - this increases the chances of overheating clogging if putting a lot of prints through.

I too have found odd and inconsistent colour casts with somegeneric inks - as identified above. I had one photo magenta cartridge that was actually about halfway between M and PM -now I always stick to Canon inks (and my wallet suffers)

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote