Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

Iam leaning towards buyingeither the Canon Pixma 4000 (dpi resolution 4800 x 1200) or the Pixma 5000 (dpi resolution 9600 x 2400). Given that my camera is a Canon Powershot A95 with a maximum resolution of 2592 x 1944 and, in other respects the printers have, broadly speaking,a similar specification, is there any advantage to be gained by purchasing the Pixma 5000?
RSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

:-) Printer DPI/ppi and camera pixel output are not the same thing, they don't map into each other at all well.

Either of those printers will produce very good output.

You will need to look up some printing tutorials on how to get the images printed
well. Generally when sending output to the printer an image dpi of around 300dpi at most is needed and image dpi does not map well into printer dpi either :-)

Check into these forums to get you started with printing.

Printing General
Qimage Support
Resizing / Interpolation

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:49 PM   #3

I can confirm PeterP comments.

I have the ip5000, a good review can be seen at photo-i. I had two Epson's go one me, one wanted a nozzle clean after 2 days and when that was replaced under warrenty the replacement wanted a nozzle clean after 4 days, they was notorious for clogging and ink wastage.

Fearful of this I was reluctant to get a ip5000 fearing tinier nozzles more cloggong, I have had the Canon over a month now and not one single problem, no head cleans - nothing to date....!

The ip5000 text is as good as my Samsung laser and just as fast after the laser has warmed up. The Canon ip4000/5000 are very quiet when printing and very economical with the inks, the ink tanks are not chipped and are clear so that you can see the ink inside and they are easy to refill which I have not attempted as yet.

Now then a little clarification here with the ip5000, it will only print at the 1pl resolution on 'Photo paper pro', this is its highest setting other than this its less and dependable on the settings etc.

You do need to be aware however the US version does not cater for CD printing, I understand there are solutions to this in the Photo printer section of this forum, incidentally Steve Digicam does a Canon review. An easy way I imagine would be to get a UK or other regional version that does CD printing, but you do need to bear in mind of the voltage difference so you will need a small voltage adapter to transform your voltage up to 240V ac if you are in the U.S.

Both are excellent printers, the ip5000 does have the 'edge' over the ip4000 especially on text and graphics.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote