Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 is not working for me

I just bought a Canon S9000 inkjet printer to print book covers with. The printer creates wonderful pictures, but it only works with Canons Photo Paper Pro. I have tried two different brands of good 12 pt glossy card stock and it will just not produce a picture at all. The inks run and the blacks are gray. It seems the Canon S9000 has to have special photo paper.

My question: Is there a simple inkjet printer that will print decent book covers on plain glossy card stock, and does not need the special photo paper. I realize that any inkjet printer will deliver a better photo image with photo paper, but the Canon S9000 will not even print a average photo on glossy card stock. It just was not make for plain paper printing like some of the cheaper inkjet printers. The problem does not seem to be the inkjet head, it must be the ink that is used for these high power photo real printers. I probably need a cheaper plain paper ink printer.

I am stuck with a $500 printer at the moment. I either will have to find a cheap source of Canon Photo Paper Pro, clone paper, and laminate it for book covers, or I will have to buy a second inkjet printer that will print on plain glossy card stock.

Perhaps someone knows of a article on this subject.

Any suggestion on inkjet printers or paper for the Canon S9000?

Kori
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2003, 12:04 AM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6734
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2003, 2:53 PM   #3

I don't know if the problem is specific to the s9000 - I just got an i850 2 days ago, and using anything but PPPro produces grainy areas - ESPECIALLY in places where the photo is dark. I've also noticed that using other photo papers (HP Premium photo paper glossy, and another kind I can't recall offhand) - that you can see lines where the print head has gone across (again, this stands out more in darker ink places). Furthermore, many places turned out grainy in areas using non-Canon photo paper. So I went and paid the extra today for the Canon Photo Paper Pro and printed the same pictures: no lines, no grainy areas. So, so far in my long 2-day experience, using the i850 with non-Canon paper has produced aweful results. Using Canon Photo Paper Pro has so far always produced EXCELLENT quality shots. I just printed one out right now and compared - part of the tablecloth on the HP paper has lines on it from the print head going across, the photo paper pro: perfect quality.

So (sorry, wasn't intending on writing a bible here), it might not be an s9000 specific problem - my i850 only produces great results on PPPro paper.
z0diac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 1:43 AM   #4

Actually you can use any epson paper on your canon. Often times produces better results at a lower cost.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote