Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

I noticed the following;

When printing a colour print there is a preponderance of blue and red, anything that should be grey comes out grey/blue. Quite honestly it looks awful, in fact it's so far out that trying to compensate for it makes the prints look flat and lifeless.

And when trying to print a B & W picture it comes out dark blue and white.

In fact the BCI-6BKis not black at all, but blue.

When printing text the ink feathers into the paper dreadfully.

I expected some difference but not as much as this, formerly I used an Epson printer for many years and used Print Rite inks, they were slightly warmer than the Epson ones and I preffered them.

In fairness though I use alittle Canon i250 at work and buy Print Rite inksfor itand have no trouble at all.

I have ordered some Ink Rite inks and will let you know what happens with those.

Regards - Jem
jemraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:51 AM   #2

Sorry I should have said at the beginning of my post that the inks were Print Rite ones.

I've posted a pic with this one, a scan of two 4" x 6" prints the one on the left is the Print Rite one on the right is the Canon genuine inks one.

The picture was taken one September evening with the sun low and a the light was the typical yellow you get at that time of year. What attracted me to the subject was the similarity between the colour of the tree bark and the colour of the stone.

I think you'll agree about the faroutness of the Print Rite one.

Jem
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:52 AM   #3

Before blaming the printer, why not try using Canon inks, I have the ip5000, the text is just as good as my laser printer, crisp and clean and photo black being black on all the papers I've used to date.

My knowledge about inks is a bit less than zero, I would imagine the problem is that the ink is waterbased, my blacks seem to come out black mind you I use Canon inks, the reason is the printers just over three months old and to date I've not had one faulty print or clogs, 100% reliability.

I was told to avoid 'universal inks' with the Canon, if you think about it Epson printers are 'cold inks' they just rely on gravity and viberation to send the ink to the paper, Canon printers boils the ink, when the hot air expands in the bubble the bubble burst's and ends up on the paper, hence the word 'bubble jet' and would imagine the ink composition and viscosity will play a vital roll all round.

Another possibility it could also be caused by the type of paper that you are using.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:53 PM   #4

Hello Davy,

Thanks for your reply, I think you may have misread my post, I'm not blaming the printer itself in anyway merely the inks :-)

I'm sure that you are right about using only the genuine article, but one cannot help but look for a bargain!

I have placed an order with a company that sells Ink Rite inks and it's on the way to me as I write this, I will do the same comparison as above and post the results here.

I wouldn't mind at all if there was just a slight colour shift, a little warmer or cooler but as you can see the poor old Print Rite inks are way off the mark.

Ah well, such is life.

Regards - Jem
Old Sep 1, 2005, 4:49 PM   #5

As you've noticed, achange in ink or paper or both can throw colors out of whack very quickly. I believe the only way to get a non-Canon ink set to work correctly(or at least close to correctly) is to create a profile for your ink/paper combination. I have a couple of Canon printers and find that a good profile will even help with Canon inks.

Profiling is a frustrating process to learn, but once you get it down it's worth all of the time and effort. If you use limited combinations of ink and paper having a profile made for you might also be your best bet.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:54 AM   #6

Dear Davy and Dai,

The Ink Rite inks arrived today and I put them in the printer straight away, cleaned the heads and reprinted the 'test' print.

You can see the result below, the Ink Rite one is the one with the black dot in the top left hand corner.

Jem
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:50 PM   #7

Has anyonee tried bulk ink for Canons from here?

http://www.proprint.co.uk/inkman_canon.htm
pebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:46 PM   #8

[line] Print Rite Inks, think these was mentioned somewhere along the line, so I'll pass the info on.

Multi-Union Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong produces Print Rite inks amongst others.

See link-:
http://www.globalsources.com/si/6007...298/multiun.co

Company profile states they export 80-84%....! Thought I'd just let you know.

If you want to read about PrintRite and Epson threatened court action follow the above link and click 'Press Release'.

Davy
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:56 PM   #9

I just realised.
In the print preferance driver window, click colour manual box, click set , check the ICM box and adjust intensity to +10 for a trial and see if that works, this works for the ip5000.

Davy
Old Oct 23, 2005, 2:42 AM   #10

Dear Davy,

Interesting link and the 'press release'. I did try altering the 'intensity' and the colour combinations but the results were not much better.

I'm quite happy with the Ink Rite inks and will continue to use them. They do print 'toned' Black & White pictures very well indeed.

Jem