Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

I'm at a loss as to how to figure out the typical ink cost per 4" by 6" inch print on my Canon iP6000D printer using Canon's ink at about $13.00 per cartridge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:
I'm at a loss as to how to figure out the typical ink cost per 4" by 6" inch print on my Canon iP6000D printer using Canon's ink at about $13.00 per cartridge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-------------------- Bill
Typicaly unless otherwise specified yields reported are at 5% coverage. So take any estimate and divide by 20 to get 100%. Then calculate the area... for example letter is 93.5 in^2 and 4x6 = 24 in^2 a difference by a factor of 3.9.

Given no one prints at 100% yield unless we are talking images of gothic churches at night or other scenes with 80% black... think 50% to 75%. These are wild ball park estimates.

So we have 280p estimate / 20 = 14p
14 p x 3.9 = 54.6p

56.6p/50% = 113.2p
56.6/75% = 75.5p

Given you have 6 tanks @ $13ish a piece we are talking $78. So assuming a yield of 113.2p per 6 tanks we're talking about 0.70 cents per 4x6. Costo may cut down your ink expence a little bit... assuming they carry light cyan/magenta/dye black. I haven't seen it at my costly, only the tri packs of cyan magenta and yellow @ $30ish or so.

Very ball park estimate not taking into account that the black is seldom used, and the light inks are often used. Reality my be different, your millage will varry.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:38 AM   #3

Zakezuke -

I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Given your caveat regarding black ususally being used less than the lighter colors, your estimate seems to be in line with my recent experience.

I've now done the equivalent of about 170 4" x 6" prints on a completely new set of ink tanks. Within the last 15 prints or so, I've replaced the photo magenta and the photo cyan tanks (after receiving messages that they were out of ink and further printing might damage the printer) and I've just had a warning that yellow is running low.

If we presume that what little I've used from the two new tanks is just about offset by what's left in the other 4 original tanks, the cost works out to about $0.46 per print.

-------------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:13 PM   #4

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:
Zakezuke -

If we presume that what little I've used from the two new tanks is just about offset by what's left in the other 4 original tanks, the cost works out to about $0.46 per print.

-------------------------- Bill
Well... you "can" print off a diagnostic sheet that will tell you how much you have printed.

While printer off hold resume hold power, continue holding power, double click resume, release power.

click resume click power and you get a test print
double click resume click power and you should get a rom print
power to resume to normal operation

To be honest I don't know all the details on how to read the eeprom print but it clearly tells me the page count. Based on how much ink you bought should give you a more accurate estimate on cost per page then I ever could.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote