Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Red River Paper Co. and shipments to Canada

Based on the good reputation this company seemed to have I placed an order with them 11 days ago for some sample paper for my printer. I got an email the next day promising that my order would be shipped within 24 hours.

I got a bill for shipping in the mail from them 3 days ago. No mention of the cost of the product, just the shipping. I sent an email to them 2 days ago asking about shipping methods, costs, whether or not they ship immediately to Canada or wait until the charges go through on the credit card, etc. No reply. And still no product.

Needless to say, I'm very surprised by their apparent indifference. There have indeed been two charges against my credit card from them, so I'm becoming alarmed at the delays.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Is it just that they are very slow to reply to email, and even slower to ship product?
I would especially like to hear from any Canadian members of the forum who have dealt with this company, but anyone who cares to reply may relate their experiences with this company. I am all ears.
:|

*UPDATE* It's been six days since I emailed them about my concerns. Still no reply.

*UPDATE #2* I got another invoice today. For a small refund, stating that I was over charged. Still no reply to my 1st email. I have sent them another one, this time practically begging for a reply.

I got my printer today. If Red River had not been so tardy, I would have had my paper by now. If they're out of stock, they could at least have said so. This silence of theirs is a poor business practice, and can only hurt their reputation in the long run. :roll:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:12 PM   #2

Hi !

Being a fellow Canadian, I am very interested to here the outcome of your dealings with Red River. I am tempted to order some paper through them as well because it seems much cheaper than buying at futureshop, staples..etc

Did you get your paper ? If so, what kind of associated shipping/duty charges did you pay ? Was it worth it to order from the U.S. or am I better off buying from a local electronics store ??

thanks !
welfaredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 5:49 PM   #3

Default I'll let you know

Hi welfaredog. About all I can tell you at this point is to stay tuned. The story is still unfolding.

I finally got a reply to my second email yesterday. They said "sorry for the delay" about answering, and explained that the small refund I got was due to being overcharged on one item. They went on to say that it will usually take 2 weeks for an order to reach me. That sounds like 2nd class mail. The order was shipped on the 21st, so it's already 3 days overdue. Count on 3 weeks for an order to get up here then.

As to whether it's going to work out worth the bother or not, I can't say yet. All I ordered was two of their sampler packs for my printer, and a pack of "practice paper". I got a bit of a shock at the charge for shipping. It looks off hand that the shipping is going to cost almost as much as the product. So perhaps making a large order is the way to go. But I need to know which paper I will like enough to order in quantity. The cost of discovering that will be high. I'll let you know if I have to pay duty on top of the cost of shipping and exchange.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 8:09 PM   #4

Glider,

Thanks for keeping me posted. The fact that your shipping bill seems to be high is disheartening news. I had inquired to Red River as to approximate shipping/duty related fees on an order of 1 pack Item 1656 (68lb. UltraPro Gloss 8.5x11 100 Sheets) and Item 1655 (68lb. UltraPro Gloss 4x6 100 Sheets). I recieved this reply (which sounded reasonable to me):

"We estimate shipping for your order via USPS will be approximately $15.00. Please give us a call if you would like to place an order"

Obviously, if you are being charged shipping equivalent to the purchase price of your order, shipping must be more than $15 !

On a positive note, Red River did tell me that they are working on a cost effective shipping method for Canadian customers:

"We are trying to work out a plan with Canada Post to ship in bulk to Detroit MI and then have the Canada Post move the items into and throughout Canada. It will save our Canadian customers a great deal of money and hopefully provide faster delivery. This system should be up by the end of February. "

In the meantime, I have read this time and time again at www.dpreview.com:

"The next best paper to PPP (Canon Photo Paper Pro) is Office Depot Premium High Gloss Photo Paper. It's less expensive and very good."

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4290313

The price is affordable for the Office Depot Paper- 25 8.5x11 sheets for $17. I am gonna try it. I'll post back with my thoughts !
welfaredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:50 PM   #5

Hey, I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression there. Shipping for the items I ordered comes to just over $15 US. The thing is, I only ordered two sampler packs, and a box of "practice paper" (I'm not sure what that "practice paper" is exactly, but it was only $5.50 US.).
The total for those 3 items was about $22 US. That's how the shipping came to nearly the same price as the paper. Factor in the price of exchange, and it starts to get painful just to find out which paper I will like. $37US x 1.6 = $59Cdn. Ouch.

I was thinking that large orders would be the way to go, in order to save on the shipping. So thanks for the heads up on Red Rivers plans to find a cheaper way to ship to Canada! Every little bit helps!

BTW, it's Friday, and I didn't get my order this week. So it will be a full 3 weeks before I get my order, if it comes next week. :roll:
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:14 PM   #6

Default Last chapter of my Red River adventure:

Well my order finally arrived today. 3 weeks to the day since I placed the order. It has arrived in good shape. Despite taking 3 weeks to arrive, according to the shipping box my order was sent "airmail". That would explain the $15.78 US price of shipping. But to take 3 weeks for "airmail" to get here suggests that the turn around time for an order at Red River Paper is at least 2 weeks. That's a very long time. :!:

The cost has been prohibitive. With the exchange rate, shipping, sales taxes at this end, and a Canada Post $5 handling fee, the cost for two 20 sheet sampler packs and one 175 sheet pack of "practice paper" has worked out to just under $78 Canadian. :shock:
I would advise anyone from Canada that wants to try a sampler pack from Red River to buy one sample pack alone, and perhaps arrange with Red River to send the order surface mail only, to keep costs down. If you like their products, I would then suggest placing a large order with them, to spread the cost per sheet of paper out. Don't forget that on top of the painful exchange rate of around 1.55, you will have to pay GST and PST on the value in Canadian dollars, and a $5 handling fee by Canada Post.

One last word of advice. DON'T order anything else during the checkout process, no matter how good a deal it seems to be. The "practice paper" I ordered that way has turned out to be a pack of Red Rivers "Budget Buy Matte Paper" 26lb TDY Matte (Item #1500, coated one side) A chart on Red Rivers own website lists this paper as unsuitable for use with my Epson 2200. :roll: :?
Since I followed a link that went straight from their page describing papers suitable for this printer to the ordering process, I'm rather annoyed that an offer for an unsuitable paper would appear like that. It seemed logical that they would offer something I would actually be able to use, and the idea of a paper I could practice on with my new printer until I got used to it seemed ideal. Now I must Email Red River again to see if this paper is completely unuseable in the 2200, or merely not recommended. It looks like I just bought some lightweight photo paper for my old HP 722C in any event. I think I'll give my brother half of the pack for him to use when he wants to print off a photo on his own 722C. :idea:

*Edit* Red River replied that they generally recommend their higher end papers for the Epson 2200, but that it would work. I gave the paper a try. It works ok, the pigmented inks don't sit on top and mess up or anything, like they do on some papers according to what I've heard. The print quality is ok. The paper is very light in weight, but it gives a nicer print of graphics or low res photos than plain paper does, for when that's all you need.