Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:08 PM   #1

I have a Canon Pixma MP780 printer and it has 5 cartridge, 3 color, 1 black dye,and 1 black pigment. The black pigment is used for text, while the dye is used for photos.

How can i force the printer to use the Pigment black only for b/w prints? Like printing webpages online? Or b/w photoshop/illustrator artwork?

I called canon support twice, and both reps said that this can't be done. Even with the grayscale option enable in the printing preference. The printer will still use a composite of the color cartridge to simulate grayscale tones, mostly the blue ink will be used in neutral gray. The pigment base ink will only be used on ASCII text they said, anything else would be a composite gray if grayscale is enabled or just color.

So the Rep said i am better off just printing in color and setting it as draft mode. Since printing in grayscale would use more colored inkto simulate the dark graytones than just using color from the start. Hmm....

There has to be a way right? like forcing it to halftone and dither? Im not sure. Anyone with any ideas on this or thoughts?
blueman541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:30 AM   #2

Try this - go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Printing Freferences. Under Color Adjustment, choose 'Manual', then click on 'set'. In the Manual Color Adjustment box you'll see a set of sliders that let you adjust color balance. Moving all the sliders except 'black' to the zero setting should do the trick. I'm not sure here, but it may give you a choice between pigment black and dye black, assuming that Canon software is similar for all it's models - I use a Pixma iP6000D. I hope that helps. Happy '06!
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

I did that, but all that did was lower the colour consumption by a tiny bit. If i print a grayscale, i can still see blue/red dots being used. If i print color, it just looks a tad washed out.

Anything I am doing wrong? I tried both normal & draft + Dither/Diffusion option.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
Try this - go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Printing Freferences. Under Color Adjustment, choose 'Manual', then click on 'set'. In the Manual Color Adjustment box you'll see a set of sliders that let you adjust color balance. Moving all the sliders except 'black' to the zero setting should do the trick. I'm not sure here, but it may give you a choice between pigment black and dye black, assuming that Canon software is similar for all it's models - I use a Pixma iP6000D. I hope that helps. Happy '06!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4

To get the printer tu use the pigmented black ink use plain paper as the paper type.
I've done this and the prints i get are good with a little bronzing in the black.
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:03 PM   #5

The paper source is already set to plain paper. Have you tried printing grayscale images and looking under magnification? It uses some color ink to create gray tones.

terryt wrote:
Quote:
To get the printer tu use the pigmented black ink use plain paper as the paper type.
I've done this and the prints i get are good with a little bronzing in the black.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:11 PM   #6

The only other option I can think of is clicking 'Print Advisor' in Printing Preferences and choosing 'fast-print all-black text'. This limits you to plain paper, envelopes and transparencies and probably has a negative effect on quality, but it might be worth a try.

The Epson C60 that I used for almost 5 years before it finally crapped out had a simpleoption for black-only printing. Canon's software is usually excellent, but they missed the boat here.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:48 PM   #7

I have tried the Print Advisor using 'fast print' mode, and it still uses color ink. If i set it to 5-quality or draft mode and dither, then it seems to not use color, but quality is bad, hard even to read text since it is also dithered.

Why would canon not make a true b/w feature? More $ to spend on Ink for us?

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
The only other option I can think of is clicking 'Print Advisor' in Printing Preferences and choosing 'fast-print all-black text'. This limits you to plain paper, envelopes and transparencies and probably has a negative effect on quality, but it might be worth a try.

The Epson C60 that I used for almost 5 years before it finally crapped out had a simpleoption for black-only printing. Canon's software is usually excellent, but they missed the boat here.