Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1

I know this has been discussed over and over but I have had this printer for about a year and have always used the original Canon cartridges but I'm so tempted to try 3rd party inks because of the price. Is the biggest concern in using 3rd party inks plugging up or damaging the printhead or is it rather being able to get a consistant color print similar to a OEM cartridge? Has anyone with a ip5000 used 3rd party inks over a period of time with no problems?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:39 AM   #2

I don't have an ip5000 but I do have the ip4000 that takes exactly the same set of cartridges. But to give a short answer, its none of the problems you posed.

1. While once in a while you can get an irresposible vendor who uses pigment based inks in the BCI-6 cartridges, a decent dye based ink is no more likely to clog a printhead than Canon OEM.-----and the BCI-6 series of OEM cartridges are dye based with printheads designed to take dye based only.---the exception is the BCI-3blk which is pigment based and mainly used for test printing.

2. In terms of color balance, many cartridge vendors get very close to Canon OEM.
See various reviews on the nifty stuff forums. In fact some users prefer the color balance of non-oem inks over Canon OEM.---------I use cartridges from http://www.bulkinkjetcarts.com at about 15% of the cost of Canon OEM and have no color complaints. Other good vendors also exist.-----the photopaper chosen can also have a large effect on color balance.

3. The main area where Canon OEM ink may be better is in the area of how well the ink resists fading-----caused by either exposure to strong light or by chemicals in the air such as ozone. Again photopaper choice also has a large effect. But with proper storage non-oem inks prints will last for decades without noticable fading. And probably some years longer with an OEM ink to see the same degree of fading.

A pigment based photoink like used in some Epsons is better for fading but less vibrant.

So at this point your warranty has expired----if you are printing in high volume it may be very tempting to use third party cartridges or refilling.------in any case you have one of the best printers ever made to exploit those options. Research your vendor well and you should have no problems.-----with the nifty stuff forums a good forum for reviews of those vendors.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Osage! I mainly use my ip5000 is for printing on dvdrs or cdrs (I have UK version), a few 4x6 pictures using Canon Photo Paper Pro, and once in awhile for text. I suppose the different vendors of 3rd party all will look different with Canons photo paper? I've got several packs of Canon Photo Paper Pro so I kind of need to use how does bulkinkjets carts work with it? How long have you used this vendor and have they been consistant? What photo paper are you using?

I think I read somewhere on this forum that Canon OEM carts have a coolant in them to keep printheads from being damaged, do you buy this? I guess you seem to be saying though that since you have been using 3rd party inks plugging up the printhead is not an issue.

I have been ordering my HP cartridges from Omnipro (http://www.omni-sos.com) for about a year because of their prices and service, have you tried them? I haven't tried their Canon carts though.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:31 PM   #4

To answer some of your questions, I have been only a serious student of inkjet printers for about nine months with a main interest in economy rather than quality.
I do limited photoprinter but have had decent results---in my non picky eyes with Canon paper.----I mainly do text printing.

But if you have the UK version of the ip5000, you are probably in a non-USA electrical current area and many vendors, including the one I cited do not ship outside the US.

Again, see the nifty stuff forums as they have a variety of threads on good reliable non-USA cartridge suppliers. Just google "Nifty stuff forums" without the quotes.

You also touched on a good point in terms of coolant in the ink. Just the drop itself being vaporised is most of that coolant----a cartridge not delivering ink is a danger as it can burn out a printhead because the electrical energy delivered goes to heat if no drop is delivered.

You also touched on another good point----some vendors do change ink suppliers
with no notice so one can get spotty results.----the general rule of thumb is to have a relationship with the supplier, get notified if they do change ink vendors, and find a paper that works well with their ink.

But rather than try to be the only responder to your questions, it would be also good if others weigh in to give you other points of view.

Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:46 PM   #5

Yes I would welcome others opinions. By the way I'm in the US I bought the UK ip5000 from expansys.com located in the US which did import printers from the UK not sure if they still do though.