Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1

I've been looking around for a type of photo paper to settle on for my canon pixma printer.

I'm interested in 4x6, 5x7.

I've heard good things about pictorico but have yet to find decent prices on them.

What are some excellent photo paper and where are they available?
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:55 PM   #2

I'm not sure if you will find any best 3rd party paper for ANY brand ink-jet printer. I've tried for years with an Epson photo printer (& got lucky because I had a job that allowed me to try over 16 papers for my printer...& the oddly enough, Office Depot Premium paper was the best, but not consistant at all).

I now use a Canon printer & wouldn't waste the money necessary to look for a paper better than theirs. After all, they've already spent a ton of money to insure their ink & paper combinations will provide the best results.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

The Canon premium photo paper is already very well priced.

I'd be hesitant to recommend any other.

Some people like ILFORD for instance.

You could buy some stock and try it out, and if you don't like it, use it for low quality low priority prints.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:52 PM   #4

You might want to look into the Kirtland brand of paper sold a Costco. The 8.5X11 paper is very good and the new 4X6 size is also very good. The papers are not the same but the price is right.

I use them on my Canon i9900 with outstanding results.

The 8.5 X 11 is $18.99 for 120 sheets and the 4 x 6 is $13.99 for 300 sheets.
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:35 PM   #5

Yeah you are right. The canon photo paper isnt really that expensive.

The kirtland paper, for it being so cheap i'm going to be hesitant, but i'll give it a try.

terry@softreq.com wrote:
Quote:
The Canon premium photo paper is already very well priced.

I'd be hesitant to recommend any other.

Some people like ILFORD for instance.

You could buy some stock and try it out, and if you don't like it, use it for low quality low priority prints.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:55 AM   #6

I find Canon Photo Paper Pro to be quite expensive compared to Epson papers and most aftermarket paper. That is the only Canon paper I have found superior to Red River.

I use Red River only because I jerry rigged my old S9000 to print large panoramas. I wanted to use the same paper for normal photos as for panoramas and Red River has good roll paper and pre-cut panorama paper in 13 inch stock.

I already have a decent stock of Canon Photo Paper Pro for special photos I might want to print in 8.5 X 11. But if I were looking for the best photo paper available for my printer at the best price I would take Steve's advice and get my paper here: http://www.freephotopaper.com/ProPaper.htm#EPSON

My next wide format printer will likely be an Epson despite the refill problems. Being stuck with 24 inch prints in a wide format printer because Canon doesn't make panorama paper and wants you to use their paper is unacceptable to me. They "fixed" the loophole in the S9000 with subsequent printers.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:02 AM   #7

MrX8503

In the testing that I did when I was using a Canon printer for the best print and longest life, I found that Pictorico papers to be the best. The Gallery Glossy was the best, with the Premium Photo Glossy in a close second. The Kirkland paper makes nice prints, but I am not sure of how long the prints last, and I have heard that it is made by Ilford.

Out of the papers that I used for testing, here are the best to worst ones: Pictorico, Canon Pro, Red River, Epson, Ilford, Kodak, Canon Plus. I was not happy with the prints made on either Ilford or Kodak, as they were grainy. Each paper was tested with the same image, same print settings, and then the print settings that they recommended.

I did all my tests from a Canon I9100 with Canon inks, and had fade problems with Red River, Canon, Ilford, Kodak, Epson,and Pictorico. The Red River, Canon, and Kodak were the worst ones. The Epson was not that good either. The Pictorico had less of a color shift, but it was noticable too. I printed two copies of each print, on was placed on a window sill, and the other into an envelope for darkness. After a month, you could see a change in the prints sitting on the window sill, and some were really bad.

A few weeks ago I pulled a print off the wall that was printed on Canon Photo Pro paper (13x19) that wasframed and matted. Well, I found that the image has faded. The area where I had it hung did not get sunlight, and it was only up for about 9 months!!!

Do to the fading problems that I have had with the Canon prints, I have now moved on to an Epson 2400, as I am trying to sell prints and I could not trust what I was getting from the Canon to last.

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:30 AM   #8

Pictorico seems to be the best photo paper, but its also one of the more expensive alternatives. Where do you buy your pictorico pictures?

About the fading issues, I'm hoping that my acrylic spray would help with this as it blocks UV, also have you tried Canon's chrome life inks with the new pixma line? 4200, 5200, etc.

Does the chrome life actually do anything, or is it just for marketing.
Speedie wrote:
Quote:
MrX8503

In the testing that I did when I was using a Canon printer for the best print and longest life, I found that Pictorico papers to be the best. The Gallery Glossy was the best, with the Premium Photo Glossy in a close second. The Kirkland paper makes nice prints, but I am not sure of how long the prints last, and I have heard that it is made by Ilford.

Out of the papers that I used for testing, here are the best to worst ones: Pictorico, Canon Pro, Red River, Epson, Ilford, Koda
k, Canon Plus. I was not happy with the prints made on either Ilford or Kodak, as they were grainy. Each paper was tested with the same image, same print settings, and then the print settings that they recommended.

I did all my tests from a Canon I9100 with Canon inks, and had fade problems with Red River, Canon, Ilford, Kodak, Epson,and Pictorico. The Red River, Canon, and Kodak were the worst ones. The Epson was not that good either. The Pictorico had less of a color shift, but it was noticable too. I printed two copies of each print, on was placed on a window sill, and the other into an envelope for darkness. After a month, you could see a change in the prints sitting on the window sill, and some were really bad.

A few weeks ago I pulled a print off the wall that was printed on Canon Photo Pro paper (13x19) that wasframed and matted. Well, I found that the image has faded. The area where I had it hung did not get sunlight, and it was only up for about 9 months!!!

Do to the fading problems that I have had with the Canon prints, I have now moved on to an Epson 2400, as I am trying to sell prints and I could not trust what I was getting from the Canon to last.

Bill
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:15 PM   #9

Have you tried any of the Epson papers. They're easy to get, there's quite a variety and they work very well with Canon printers.
-Brett
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:17 AM   #10

MrX8503

I usually get my Pictorico paper from either B and H photo or Andromda. They both have good prices and a large selection of papers. Sometimes I would buy from Pictorico.com, but that would be depending on the deals that they had going.

For the new line of 4200, 5200 printers, I have not tried them. I ended up doing my upgrade to the Epson R2400. I have heard the new Canon printers make nice prints, but nothing on the longevity of the prints. Canon says that they should last something like 30 years on their paper, but that is what they said about the BCI6 inks too. I did hear somewhere that someone thought that they only changed the Magenta inks, but don't hold me to this.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote