Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:57 PM   #1

How do I tell our Canon Pixma iP5000 to use the 3eBK black cartridge instead of the 6BK black cartridge, as we hardly ever do colour printing (but do do some occasionally).

History: starting with both types of cartridge full of (black) ink , and doing almost exclusively greyscale printing, to my surprise the narrow 6BK cartridge ran out (later) first, and in fact the larger 3eBK cartridge, which I understood to be what the printer should be using to do greyscale printing, was still full & seemingly unused. We would prefer for this not to happen, as the 6BK costs roughly the same as the one twice it's size, ie is about twice as costly to use.

What's going on??!!! This non-guru would really appreciate any advice or info on this, suspect it is something really simple.

NB: I could find no relevant options in the printer setup etc screens, or the manual or the Canon FAQ online that threw any light on the problem. Have had the printer for less than a year & apart from the above regard it asfar better than the rest of theavailable on offer, it is amazing how good it is ....

thanks from Jandaker

jandaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:36 AM   #2

jandaker

If you are making b&w photos with this printer, it will use the 6bk cartridge and the color cartridges for this. This cartridge is mainly used to images and higher reselution work.

The 3ebk cartridge is mainly for printing text and the low res. work. Mainly documents.

I do not know of a way to make the 3ebkwork with with images.

Hope this helps

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:20 AM   #3

Hi Bill,

I am assuming that this is the same for text ie the 6bk cartridge is cannot be selected to print text, is this right? As we use the printer more for text than for photos or colour printing is would be good to use the larger (6bk) cartridge for this and the smaller or both for the colour work.

thanks

Jandaker
jandaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:51 AM   #4

My iP4000 doesn't give me any choice of what ink is used for what purpose other than turning off the color by checking grayscale. The black pigmented ink in the large cartridge would give a purplish sheen on photo paper so it isn't used for images. It is a lower resolution and would decrease the sharpness of photos in any case.

My HPs let me select "black only" under grayscale. That allowed the printer to use only the large pigmented cartridge. Grayscale images printed with that setting were poor because of the lower resolution even on plain paper where the sheen didn't show.

I think you have the same settings as my iP4000, so I think you are just spinning your wheels trying to get the printer to use a particular ink. It will use the large black pigmented cartridge for text and the dye based photo black for grayscale images. My HPs didn't have photo black so they mixed colors to get grayscale images, but I would think the Canon uses the photo black for grayscale. I haven't printed enough grayscale images to notice whether my color cartridges deplete. It doesn't really matter as I haven't found a way to tell it what to use for anything.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:22 AM   #5

Read the replies in this post, it explains the useage of the black cartridges.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=57
terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:16 PM   #6

I tried the advice in the thread to fast print black text and compared the print to a regular photo printed with grayscale. I couldn't see any difference. I couldn't see any colors mixed to make gray under magnification.

My iP4000 appears to use the pigmented black only for text regardless of settings. And it appears to use photo black for grayscale.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:32 AM   #7

hey whats up the problem with canon printers and greyscale printing is that it will always use the colour inks to make the grey scale.

My canon 4200 does this even when selecting greyscale.

But with my epson photo 900 i can select use only black ink and the prints come out in perfect greyscale with only black ink used.

ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:23 AM   #8

Default stop greyscale

The issue with the Pixma as I have found out, is that you can't tell it what tank to use. It uses the photo tanks when you tell it to do greyscale printing as it thinks you are printing a B&W photo. If you just select fast draft or standard printing and leave the greyscale box unchecked, it will assume you are printing text and use the larger tank for printing. Yes you will use a bit more color, but it will last much longer than constantly running out of the photo black.
kbalaz is offline   Reply With Quote