Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1

I have 3 Canon iP4000 printers which use BCI6 cartridges. I have refilled the cartridges hundreds of times to the point that the printers are wearing out.

I can't get new 4000's and the replacemet for the 4000 is the Canon Pixma 4200 but it uses the Canon #8 cartridge which has a computer chip in it and isn't great for refilling.

Does anyone know od other printers that take to BCI6 and/or are their alternates to this printer which you can suggest; which use a refillable cartridge??

Thank you.

Simon

simonjeckell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:18 PM   #2

Checkout the ip5000. Believe it uses your inks.
joethejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:48 PM   #3

S800, S820, S900, BJC-8200, BJC-8200, BJC-S9000, I560, I900D, I9100, I950, I960, PIXMA IP3000, PIXMA IP4000, PIXMA IP5000, PIXMA IP8500, S800, S820, S820D, S900

these are the models that take that cartridge

good luck
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:31 PM   #4

Some swear the canon i965 is the best photoprinter ever made. More rugged than the pixma replacements.

But still lots of new ip4000's out there---try ebay---still a few in under the counter in various retail outets.
Let your fingers do the walking. And places like fry's have them refurbished sometimes.--so does Canon--and you may want to check out the ip5000. Agree with you that the chipped Canons are not worth buying. But will be worth buying if the chip is defeated----they are hard at work at it. At present many are refilling the chipped Canons---more annoyance that anything to do it--go through some nag screens---but you have to use a chipped blank and third party prefilled Cartridges are not an option.

And no, I won't sell you my lightly used and cherished ip4000. I am going to hang onto that rascal.:-)

And let me do de math---lets see--you have refilled hundreds of cartridges--probably at about a $1.00 a pop vs.
Canon OEM at $12.or more a pop--you save $11.00 per refill times 100 refills equals a respectable $1100 in savings/per 100 refills minus the $300 or less you paid for the two extra printers still leaves you $800 or more ahead. So Simon, you sir have skinned Canon on the deal-----keep up the good work---but you and your ilk are why Canon has struck back with the curse of the chip.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:26 PM   #5

Still a few: http://www50.shopping.com/xFS?KW=can...ories&FD=0
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:41 AM   #6

Thanks Guys - what do we do when we can't get these anymore. I've that you can get chip resetters for some new printers but I haven't seen any for sale.
simonjeckell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:09 AM   #7

atta boy Osage...that was needed to be said...but i'm so new here, if i had, i'da been chastised...good job...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:55 PM   #8

Thank you roy123 for your kind words,

But I feel anyones opinion should carry equal weight and being chastised does not bother my
thick skin. I have been a serious student of ink jet technonoly for less than a year but have to feel
this whole force the user to use OEM cartridges is exactly why we consumers are not getting better
inkjets.

At this point in time, there are a variety of technologies to print images on paper--or for that matters
just plain askii text. 2005 has been somewhat been the year when affordable color lasers are just coming
out, but still the inkjet printer remains as lower in initial price than a color Laser, and cost competitive, even using OEM cartridges in some select inkjet printers for color photoprinting. But combine a good inkjet with cheap prefilled third party ink cartridges or refill your own, the better inkjets has shown it blows away the color laser on quality of photoprinting by a wide margin, consumable costs by a wide margin, much lower initial purchase price, and for that matter even blows away a monochrome laser on consumable costs.

2005 has also been somewhat the year inkjet printer manufacters seem collectively determined to deny a very small refilling and third party community access to these benefits by shutting them out with various schemes that mainly involve chips of some sort. And all of them seem to be doing it--Canon, HP, Lexmark, and Epson.

But take this forum--one of the few printing forums on the net---Has some 57,000 registered members, the nifty stuff forums has less than 1000, not sure about THG but their printer reviews seem to be moving backward in quality and their reviewer seems clueless that any use anything other than OEM cartridges. In the vast international inkjet market these numbers don't even register on radar screens---with the vast preponderance of consumers clueless on consumable costs---and with no easy way to get it. I just google inkjet printer.
Got over 23 million hits. And I can bet 99.99% of those hits are basically worthless on deciding which
inkjet printer really stands out in the pack. Consumable costs statistics are especillay hard to find.

But if we consumers want better consumer choices we have to reach the average user---and when the average buyer becomes educated rip off printers or chips can't exist in the market place because the consumers would not buy them.----until then, consumers get the short end of the stick and rip off printers fly off store shelves.

And a few of us enjoy huge savings because we make better choices. but simonjeckell's lament holds true--what happens when the older better printers are gone and we can only buy chipped replacements?

There is something to be said for the people power of forums----but if we can't translate that into outreach to reach the uneducated consumer we can only save ourselves for a while.--the power of the free enterprise system that assumes better printers offering better value will do better will be subverted by the manufacters ability to prevent better products from reaching the marketplace to feather their nests.

Osage is offline   Reply With Quote