Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:56 PM   #11

Found these posting :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19645055

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19495580

DigitalGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:48 AM   #12

I have been looking at these systems

http://www.marrutt.com/r1800-cis.php

I requested an R1800 sample printout, it came a few days later , 1 glossprint, 1 satin.The Lyson system was used along with Lyson PhotochromeR pigment inks, The prints are outstanding,its a little on the expensive side though.The documentation states that an A4 print would cost 12p where as Epson carts would cost 65p + VAT per print.I am seriously thinking about this system

http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/content...=4&page=35

The above link is for the Fotospeed CIS system, a little cheaper. Both websites offer a free profiling service .

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13

The Efillink system gets very good feedbacks and the users say the company is very responsive to their requests.

The only thing that looks unclear to me, is how to purge the heads before installing the CIS ?

A cleaning bottle is provided in the CIS kit, but I still not understand how to proceed, even after having surfed their website.

Update:
I asked the question yesterday evening on their website and got a detailed answer this morning : this confirms that this company is very responsive. The other feedbacks I got also tell that their ink is Top quality. I will probably go to their CIS solution very soon, as with a large number of prints, it is not manageable to work with the ridiculous small Epson cartidges.

N.
Nounours18200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:37 PM   #14

I bought the Niagra IV CIS for my Epson 2200from Mediastreet. I think it was a mistake.

First problem: I lost the ability to print borderless. It is necessary to prop the exit roller wheels so that they don't touch the exiting print and leave tracks. Apparently the Mediastreet ink is slower drying than Epson ink, and the exit wheels leave marks in the still-damp ink, especially dark colors. Without the exit wheels to pull the paper, borderless printing is not possible.

OK. I can live without borderless prints, can't I? We'll see. After about two months, I was fairly sold on the system. I have created workable profiles for my favorite papers and get consistent prints, and I can't even tell that the ink levels have dropped in the reservoirs. OK, I still can't print borderless. Then comes today.

I printed a 12x12 on 13x19 paper. At the end of the print, there was this long black trail of black ink about 1/8" wide,3 inches long, and 1/16" thick. Wet, of course. I looked into the printer and there were little pools of blackink several places. I cleaned it out and printed a nozzle test--many gaps were there in every color, but especially in black and light black. Numerous cleaning cycles yielded no improvement. It seems the ink couldn't get through the print head and so leaked out the sides, as there were new pools of black ink inside the printer.

Mediastreet has a "fix" for ink clogs using a paper towel and Windex (they must have seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"). After this "fix", the black and light black were gone completely, and the other gaps in the nozzle check were unaffected.

I tried bleeding the system, in case air had become trapped inside, but that accomplished nothing. I even tried putting Epson cartridges back in. Too late. Epson 2200 print heads are not user-replaceable. My Epson 2200 is toxic waste.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:48 AM   #15

wburychka wrote:
Quote:

I tried bleeding the system, in case air had become trapped inside, but that accomplished nothing. I even tried putting Epson cartridges back in. Too late. Epson 2200 print heads are not user-replaceable. My Epson 2200 is toxic waste.

There is a chance you can still save the printer.

Clogged Epson print heads can be cleaned if you have the patience.

1. Use a syringe with a flexible tube to inject a small amount of cleaning fluid into the clogged print head. Use no more than 1 - 2 ml. Do not force the fluid when you feel restrictions. You could hold the syringe firmly when you inject the cleaning fluid. This allows the cleaner to soak the print heads. Move the cartridge to service position before doing this and make sure the power cord is removed.

2. If you have a set of old cartridge, refill the cartridge with the cleaning fluid. Install the cartridge and let the print head soaked by the fluid. Do not plug in the power cord yet. This is easierif you havea set of refillable cartridges.

3. You could also spray a small amount of cleaning fluid onto the waste ink pad, this willlet the cleaning fluid clean the outside of the print heads. The cartridge carrier must be moved back to park positionby hand,do notplug in the power cord until the next morning.

Have patience with these three methods and take care not to short the electrical circuit. Too much fluid will cause a short.

Donot run the cleaning cycle after thepower cord is plugged in, print a color pattern to clean. The idea is to get the mixture of cleaning fluid and ink to go into the printer nozzle while you print, this also allows thecleaning fluid to move inside theprint heads while you print. Print at photo setting to get the maximum amount of cleaning fluid into the print nozzle.

Should you need further assistance, I will be more than happy to help.

Good luck,

Ron

efillink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:45 AM   #16

efillink wrote:
Quote:
There is a chance you can still save the printer.

Clogged Epson print heads can be cleaned if you have the patience...

Should you need further assistance, I will be more than happy to help.

Good luck,

Ron
Thanks, Ron. From your user name, I gather you are a seller of continuous ink systems. Before I bought the Niagra system, I asked around in the three Houston area photo clubs to which I belong. No one had first hand experience, but a few had hearsay warnings. One said she watched a failed installation demo at a PSA convention. I ignored the warnings and proceeded. It was a terribly expensive mistake that I will not likely make again. Once burned; twice shy, as the expression goes. My printer has long since gone to the City of Houston recycling center and been replaced with a Canon i9900.

I never really liked the appearance of glossy prints on that Epson anyway, and the R1800 prints I've seen--even with the glossy clearcoat--have not impressed me. The Canon has user-replaceable print heads and its glossy prints look 100% better (I don't care if they last only 25 years compared with 80 for the Epson. I'd rather look at a pretty picture for 25 years than an ugly one for 80--which is at least 30 years longer than I am likely to live anyway!) If a printer manufacturer ever produces one with CIS built in--at an affordable price--I might consider it. For now, though, CIS remains a four-letter word, as far as I'm concerned. At least my three photo clubs now have someone with first-hand experience!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:17 AM   #17

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Before I bought the Niagra system, I asked around in the three Houston area photo clubs to which I belong. No one had first hand experience, but a few had hearsay warnings. One said she watched a failed installation demo at a PSA convention. I ignored the warnings and proceeded. It was a terribly expensive mistake that I will not likely make again. Once burned; twice shy, as the expression goes. My printer has long since gone to the City of Houston recycling center and been replaced with a Canon i9900.

Wish I had writtensooner. Probably could help you to save the printer.

Media Street inks havegood reputation. I believe your problem was due to a back flow when the system was positioned too low. I recall seeing one Niagra CIS somewhere, if the CIS is placedat the desk level and the cartridge is sitting high above the inkbottles, ink will flow from the cartridge back to the ink tank.If the tank isabove the cartridge, you will see a pool of ink below the printer.If you do get a CIS for the Canon, remember to make sure the ink level in the bottle is not above the cartridge. It could be slightly below the cartridge to maintain a slight reversepressure. But watch the force of gravity thatwill cause reverse flowcausing a banding similar to print head clog. In reality, the nozzle is filled with air.

If the tank is positioned at the proper level, a good quality ink will not clog.

Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:34 PM   #18

I have an R1800 and this weekend I installed a CIS from Inkjetfly.com. So far no problems and the profiled colors seem to match screen very well. I received one system from them earlier and had trouble getting it set up. They sent me a new designed one quickly at no charge and this set up with no problem. I have printed pictures on different papers using profiles I madewith Monaco EZcolor. I printed two pictures of each and have one set in a southern exposed window and one in a light tight folder. I plan to determine fade resistance in this way. Their ink is pigment based ink. Their site is http://www.inkflyjet.com
gamarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 4:06 PM   #19

gamarlin wrote:
Quote:
I have an R1800 and this weekend I installed a CIS from Inkjetfly.com. So far no problems and the profiled colors seem to match screen very well. I received one system from them earlier and had trouble getting it set up. They sent me a new designed one quickly at no charge and this set up with no problem. I have printed pictures on different papers using profiles I madewith Monaco EZcolor. I printed two pictures of each and have one set in a southern exposed window and one in a light tight folder. I plan to determine fade resistance in this way. Their ink is pigment based ink. Their site is http://www.inkflyjet.com
Your story sounds like mine, except that I had no setup problem and mine worked correctly from the start. Like you, I thought the stories I heard of clogged print heads didn't apply to me. The Mediastreet ink was claimed to be pigment based also. Other than losing borderless, it worked perfectly for two months before it crashed. And I made it a point to print a photo nearly every day, to avoid drying out printheads. If it had continued working, it would have reduced my ink cost by 90%. Instead, it killed the printer.

I hope your longer term experience is different.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:17 PM   #20

wburychka
Your story sounds like mine, except that I had no setup problem and mine worked correctly from the start. Like you, I thought the stories I heard of clogged print heads didn't apply to me. The Mediastreet ink was claimed to be pigment based also. Other than losing borderless, it worked perfectly for two months before it crashed. And I made it a point to print a photo nearly every day, to avoid drying out printheads. If it had continued working, it would have reduced my ink cost by 90%. Instead, it killed the printer.

I hope your longer term experience is different.

__________________________________________________ ________________

wburychka

How did you end up with a clogged printer?
A back flow occurred. As the inks return to the bottles. Air will enter the print heads and into the cartridge. When the printer has been sitting for a week or so, the user find the "banding" on the print. The immediate respond is to run a couple of cleaning cycle. The problem might go away. If this problem repeats and ignored, the print head may get clogged completely. As if you leave the cartridge out of the printer, the print head will be clogged. This reverse flow cause air to enter the print head, it is like not having the cartridge in the printer. The print heads could become clogged solid.

How could this problem be avoided?
If a supplier will commit to long term support. The small problems shown in the example will not get so bad and cause the customer to loose a printer. The fix is really simple. Elevate the tank so the inks in the tank is not too far below the inks in the cartridge. Unclogging the print head is not difficult either.

Somehow, the lifestyle today might have contributed to this disposible everything habit. The stock holder pressure for more profit, thus everything sold are planned to be replaced in a couple of years. This is what makes the economy work. Unfortunately, we catch on the this habit somehow. When there is no help to get theprinter fixed,the printerend up in recycling center.

I may writein a different thread about howthe CIS back flow causing print head to clog.