Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1

Is there a continuous ink system for the epson r1800? I am really getting
tired of buying new ink cartridges. Am willing to shell out the bucks initially if it
means I can save on the refills. Thanks,John
jbren3160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2

YES

a quick google search found lots of results "cis epson r1800" ones i looked at where silly money though

r200 ones i pay £39 for.......those are listed at £149 on first link i saw
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:43 AM   #3

There's a thread here:
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=10708

..that has a heavy slant on the Ink Republic system but some useful insights into potential problems and/or things to watch out for in CIS manufacturers.

Can't offer you a definitive resource unfortunately...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Was wondering about the mediastreet system. If anybody has
ane experience using it.
jbren3160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5

I have been using a continuous ink system purchased from eBay for over a year with absolutely no problems for my Epson R1800 and R2400. I have also been searching for the best one on the net but they are look the same but with different names.

It looked quite simple when I got with tubes attached to empty cartridges and tanks.How different would it be from one manufacturer to the next and is it worth paying $200 for one (often empty) when I can get it for under $80 on eBay already with ink? If you properly install it and take care of your printer well such as turning it off when not in use, the system will save you hundreds and even thousands of dollars a year.

All printer manufacturers make most of their money off of selling you their expensive cartridges so it is in their best interest and the interest of websites selling the manfucturer's printing supplies to bad mouth products that will block their profits. Beware of bias forums set up by such websites. There are many of them all over the internet.

The best thing to do is to look for actual buyers of these systems on eBay and read their comments. I have also seen posts on forums from what looks like the ink system manufacturer's themselves self praising their own products and pretending to be actual customers.

eBay members are real and ordinary people who have no bias. Printers are so cheap now but the cartridges have remain very expensive for obvious reasons (making money and breaking the backs of hard working individuals). My system came with a 60 day money back return policy but I had it for over a year and have seen no problems. The bulk ink is very cheap at only $25 to fill all 8 of my colors with 100 ml each or 8x100 ml of ink. 800 ml of ink is about 80 cartridges that I would have had to purchase from Epson if I did not have this system. Each Epson cartridge is around $14 so you do the math ($14 X 80) and find out how much I saved for $25. When purchasing a system just make sure you buy it from a seller with a reputable feedback.

Chris

Menomonee Falls, WI

Chris1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:17 PM   #6

Quote:
I have been using a continuous ink system purchased from eBay for over a year with absolutely no problems for my Epson R1800 and R2400. I have also been searching for the best one on the net but they are look the same but with different names.
The reason for that is that a lot of the ebay sellers, with perhaps the notable exception of JWLSales, are resellers of the same kit.
Quote:
It looked quite simple when I got with tubes attached to empty cartridges and tanks. How different would it be from one manufacturer to the next and is it worth paying $200 for one (often empty) when I can get it for under $80 on eBay already with ink? If you properly install it and take care of your printer well such as turning it off when not in use, the system will save you hundreds and even thousands of dollars a year.
I can appreciate how it might appear that some of the more expensive kits are not worth the money when compared to the cheaper eBay items but you have to remember that a lot of the ebay sellers often have no website for follow up or support. Additionally I'd be more than happy to point out that half the ebay sellers haven't a clue how the systems work and are just trying to make a fast buck.

The list of problems I've heard from the same kits you're referring to include:
- leaking reservoirs (ink leaks out of containers or worse into other colour segments)
- incorrect chips (happens a lot with the R220)
- poor ink quality

... and more.
Quote:
All printer manufacturers make most of their money off of selling you their expensive cartridges so it is in their best interest and the interest of websites selling the manfucturer's printing supplies to bad mouth products that will block their profits. Beware of bias forums set up by such websites. There are many of them all over the internet.
True, the printer industry, especially the aftermarket cartridge side of things is an absolute mess of nastyness with bad mouthing, poor reviews, fake reviews, etc.. It's fair to say that in the main this is actually more prevelant from Asian manufacturers of really cheap inks, etc.. but by no means a hard and fast rule.. Look at places like PBase forum to see what I mean.
Quote:
The best thing to do is to look for actual buyers of these systems on eBay and read their comments. I have also seen posts on forums from what looks like the ink system manufacturer's themselves self praising their own products and pretending to be actual customers.
With the best will in the world that's not a good indicator at all.. ebay feedback is by its nature very short term and doesn't include any forum for followup. Let's be honest, most people post a quick "it arrived as ordered", "quick postage", etc.. but you don't have the opportunity for any "After 2 months it fouled my system" or "support didn't return any of my emails", etc..

Prime candidate "Everest Team".. They have a forum which is NEVER read.. or more accurately, they haven't responded to since August.. I've started answering posts just to try and help the poor sods out who are left waiting for ages hoping for a response.

Quote:
eBay members are real and ordinary people who have no bias. Printers are so cheap now but the cartridges have remain very expensive for obvious reasons (making money and breaking the backs of hard working individuals). My system came with a 60 day money back return policy but I had it for over a year and have seen no problems. The bulk ink is very cheap at only $25 to fill all 8 of my colors with 100 ml each or 8x100 ml of ink. 800 ml of ink is about 80 cartridges that I would have had to purchase from Epson if I did not have this system. Each Epson cartridge is around $14 so you do the math ($14 X 80) and find out how much I saved for $25. When purchasing a system just make sure you buy it from a seller with a reputable feedback.
I'd agree with some of that and it does sound like you found a good one but in the main I've heard quite a few scare stories. Of course the basics of looking for good feedback is still relevant and I'd be interested to hear who you actually purchased your kit from. But as noted above it's dangerous just to rely on eBay feedback as the only measure of reputation.

Anyways, I do have a review and help site setup specifically to help improve the amount of info' available on CIS kits so if you could put one on about your experience, etc.. it'd help redress the balance. It's on http://www.continuousink.info/

Cheers

Martin

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:07 PM   #7

Here is asystem from http://www.efillink.com

Excellent support web site at http://www.inkfillshop.com, instructional video showing the installation procedures.

I am using an excellent archival photo pigment ink made for R1800 and get no clog, trouble free printing.
Attached Images

CK.SanFrancisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:28 AM   #8

I found thismanufacturer which seems to offer a deal that will solve everyone's issues with Continuous Ink Systems for both Epson and Canon Inkjet printers. You may want to try http://www.kyson.yangportal.com. They offer a 30 day free trial and their ink is made in the USA. Not imported they say. They also provide a Printer Protection Program where if their product damages your printer in any way, they will pay for the cost of replacing the printer.

Chris
Chris1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:50 AM   #9

I looked into a CIS for my R1800. The biggest problem I found was the quality of third party ink. It seems that the 3rd party inks are not as glossy as Epson ink. Mediastreet explained that to me up front and sent me sample prints. I took those prints, scanned them and printed them on my setup with Epson ink. Everyone I showed the prints to prefered the Epson prints. There was a big difference in saturation and gloss. I have to assume that the prints I was sent were the best Mediastreet could do.

Although being able to buy bulk ink would be great. I don't want to produce a lower quality print.
egale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10

egale wrote:
Quote:
I looked into a CIS for my R1800. The biggest problem I found was the quality of third party ink. It seems that the 3rd party inks are not as glossy as Epson ink. Mediastreet explained that to me up front and sent me sample prints. I took those prints, scanned them and printed them on my setup with Epson ink. Everyone I showed the prints to prefered the Epson prints. There was a big difference in saturation and gloss. I have to assume that the prints I was sent were the best Mediastreet could do.

Although being able to buy bulk ink would be great. I don't want to produce a lower quality print.
Yes, the 3rd party inks are different from Epson inks. TheGloss Optimizer is not as glossy, but I have heard new GO from the 3 rd party isavailable. No words on how good they are. I also learned that the 3rd party black has less bronzing and this ink is available from MIS andEfillink.

Stay away from the inks made in China, Taiwan, and Korea. There should be very good inks from Japan, but I have not seen it on the market.
DigitalGear is offline   Reply With Quote