Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:00 AM   #1

Could some recomend a good ink to use ,other than Canon,s costly ink
Thanks for any input
Ron
Ronsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:38 AM   #2

To Ronsr,

At least at the nifty stuff forum there seems to be three concenus favorite inks---MIS, Formulalabs,
and Hobbicolors.

find formulalabs at www.alotothings.com
find MIS at www.inksupply.com
find hobbicolors by typing hobbicolors at the ebay search bar---hobbicolors primarily vends on ebay,
they tend to show only auctions for refill kits, but actually are very good at custom orders. One of hobbicolors virtues is the virgin cartridges with a screw seal that comes with the kits.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:57 AM   #3

Ronsr wrote:
Quote:
Could some recomend a good ink to use ,other than Canon,s costly ink
Thanks for any input
Ron
i'm using inktec's refill kit. IMHO, no other 3rd party ink manufacturer that i have tested has come closer to canon's original colors. i actually think they look IDENTICAL!

take a look here: http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/bci6bundle.html.
please keep in mind that i'm referring to the bulk ink for $2.95 a piece (eg. this one: http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/bki8050ccbot.html), not the prefilled ones in cartridges (which i haven't tested, yet).

the kit for $14.95 (eg. http://www.inkjetcartridge.com/bki8050c.html) does come with a (pathetic) drill, but a nice cartridge holder. the instruction is #^%$*&, though *LOL*.

my tips when using the kit:
PREPARATION:
- plastic wrap or bag to cover your desk, otherwise you might get ink spots on it;
- dremel or hand drill with a small drill bit (i forgot which size)
- small torch/flame, like a piezo torch;
- some wax (non-perfumed)
- pointy knife that you can use to heat up to melt the wax

REFILLING:
1. take the cartridge, close the bottom hole (where ink is flowing into the printer head) with some magic tape to prevent leakage during refill; it doesn't have to be super-tight because the cartridge holder will do the rest with its silicon stopper (you'll see what i mean once you examine the holder);
2. THEN insert the cartridge into the holder;
3. drill a hole on top of the EMPTY compartment (not the one that contains the sponge);
4. refill, but do NOT overfill -> leave 1/4" of air to create the vacuum (see #6.)
5. turn on the torch, have some wax melt on the tip of the knife, and close the top hole with the LIQUIFIED wax, and WHILE YOU ARE CLOSING THE HOLE,
6. slightly SQUEEZE the walls of the cartridge -> you will see air bubbles coming through the liquid wax that is now starting to set; this is how you create some internal vacuum!
7. once the wax is set (turning from clear to opaque), take the cartridge out, remove the tape (watch out for some excess ink), and insert it into the printer.

why the vacuum? if you don't create a small vacuum inside the cartridge, you will have a MESS in your printer. the ink will start to flow (without you knowing it) and you might have drops of ink on your paper when you are trying to test print! the first sign that you do not have enough vacuum is when you take off the magic tape and ink is suddenly starting to flow out. if you created enough vacuum, you can actually squeeze the walls of the cartridge and have barely any ink coming out.

alrighty, this was a lenghty description, but once you do it a few times, it's actually quite EASY! i've been doing this for about 2 years now, still using the same cartridges on my canon i560 and i960 .

cheers,

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4

Hi Ronsr,

I certainly won't disagree with Capt CA refill method--I have never seen his exact method posted but its clearly working well for this person---but I had to somewhat chuckle about his comment on the inktec refill instructions. The point I am trying to make is that there are a very large number of variants in refilling techniques used by various people regarding the Canon BCI-3&6 cartridges---and finding quality instructions is difficult.---for a more comprehensive set of various methods, I do recommend you visit the nifty stuff forums for a review of some other method.

But Capt CA does indicate the starting step---creating an ink inlet hole---by drilling into the reserve compartment of a depleted cartridge---once that ink inlet hole is created, one must have a means to reseal that hole after the refill ink is added. I use a stainless steel panhead sheetmetal screw with an rubber o-ring, other use rubber plugs, hot melt glue, putty, or in his case melted wax. As long as that seal is air tight, the cartridge then becomes a very good refill candidate.--if the seal is not air tight, a big danger exists that the cartridge will leak into the printer.

In terms of refilling savings, I have costed out that Canon charges about $2600/gallon of usable ink when vended in the form of BCI-3ebk cartridges and about $4300 when in the form of BCI-6 cartridges. Since top quality ink can be purchased retail in any color for as low as $100/gallon---you can see the refilling money savings potential---by the way the gallon unit is just an arbitrary unit ---but when ink is bought retail in smaller 4-8 oz sizes the retail costs do go up to around $150-$200/gal.

But in terms of the refill process, lots of variants that all work well---just lots of different ways to skin a cat---just don't let too many different methods bother you--because if you know the principles, they all work.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:43 AM   #5

Osage wrote:
Quote:
[...]
But in terms of the refill process, lots of variants that all work well---just lots ofÂ* different ways to skin a cat---just don't letÂ* too many different methods bother you--because if you know the principles, they all work.
i absolutely agree. the method i presented was ONE of the many, and i am familiar with osage's method of using a screw with an o-ring. my (personal) main concern was the creation of a vacuum which reminded me of refilling the old HP cartridges (years and years ago) where one had to suction out the air after injecting the black ink.

but i hope i was able to point out another factor (namely the vacuum) that was not mentioned anywhere else -- AFAIK.

please do whatever works best for you, and it would be nice to get some feedback from you .

cheers, and don't get too many dirty fingers :-).

CKA
Capt_KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:35 PM   #6

I totally agree with what Capt KA said---and if he had some sucess filling HP cartridges---he is one up on me--The point being--IMHO---the BCI-3&6 cartridges are just super easy to refill--and transparent also--so you can readily see what is going on.--and you need no complex vacume creating apparatis.

But one additional piece of advice---there are a large number of vendors selling refill ink---and if you have a Canon printer---get an ink specifically blended for Canon printers--so do not get a refill kit advertised to work in any brand printer. But I should mention many fine refill inks, including inktec, formulalabs, and MIS sell ink refill kits for a variety of different printer brands---but a different blend of ink comes in the different kits.--so they will offer a kit for an HP--for a Canon--for a Epson.--but avoid any that advertise their one ink will work in any printer.

I also second Capt KA request to keep us posted--that is what makes these forums great--its shared experiences.