Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 5, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1

I have been refilling printers for years and have owned Canon's for years now they change to these "Smart" tanks and after you fill them it still says it is empty. I have a PIXMA MP830 Thanks In Advance.

Richard
HeadhunterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 7:51 PM   #2

Richard,

Since no one is responding I will jump in--but basically the chip gets to a point
where the nozzle fire count reaches a certain value--and tells the printer and printer software the cartridge is empty--at which point the printer warns you but gives you an option to over ride this.--of course by then I am assuming you have refilled the cartridge. If you then over ride this it pops up another warning about dire damage, warranty voiding, and all that. Which you can then over ride also. You have to do this for each and every cartridge and lose ink monitoring.

But this is just from what I read ---if you search the back posts on this and the photo-inkjet section--you can find this in much greater detail.--I don't yet own a chipped Canon.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:03 AM   #3

Osage wrote:
Quote:
Richard,

Since no one is responding I will jump in--but basically the chip gets to a point
where the nozzle fire count reaches a certain value--and tells the printer and printer software the cartridge is empty--at which point the printer warns you but gives you an option to over ride this.--of course by then I am assuming you have refilled the cartridge. If you then over ride this it pops up another warning about dire damage, warranty voiding, and all that. Which you can then over ride also. You have to do this for each and every cartridge and lose ink monitoring.

But this is just from what I read ---if you search the back posts on this and the photo-inkjet section--you can find this in much greater detail.--I don't yet own a chipped Canon.
Just to note that Osage pretty much has it right..

I own a couple of the iP4200 chipped printers and installed CIS units after playing for a bit.

Bottom line, you'll get to the empty message and then either have to install a new OEM (Canon) cartridge or refill the existing one and navigate three warning screens warning you that any damage resulting from use of a third party ink will mean that Canon will not be held responsible for any repair required as a result. Bottom line: your warranty is at risk if you continue.

If you continue the ink level indicator for the refilled cartridge will be disabled and your printer will mark itself as past warranty (although there's some disagreement on the legality of this it does mark itself).

For what it's worth the iP4200 works just fine with refilling and with a CIS kit (although none are currently available commercially - I made my own) provided you source the correct inks from a reputable supplier..

Hope that helps..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 5:54 PM   #4

If you need a set of auto reset chip cartridge's please contact Ronnie Luk on: rcl0072003@yahoo.com or www.efillink.com/index.html

I use these cartriges and ink and they are very efficent! Ronnie is very dedicated and willing to help customers in any possoble way!
ronborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:34 PM   #5

To ronborg,

What your link has to do with chipped Canon printers is beyond me---your Ronnie Luk seems to have some pricey options for Epson printers---but the only thing he seems to have for Canons---or anything posted on Canon printers--is a set of empty cartridges priced way way more than many competitors---not word one about any support beating the Canon chips.

Maybe I missed something there---I would love to be proved wrong and pleasantly surprised---but we are supposed to stay on topic--which is basic advice about chipped Canons and the Canon MP830.--and how to defeat the chip when it says the cartridge is empty---even though the user has refilled it.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6

Hi,
I agree with what you said. You would trhink by now some electronic genius would tell us the clue to resetting the latest Canon Chipped cartridges. Can't we buy an epson chip resetter and then convert it ?
What if we never remove the cartidge and keep refilling it while its in the machine . Wopuld that work ?
I have a canon MP150 and am pretty P.O. about the chip. I have always relied on Canons as they have allowed refilling.
regards John

johncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7

johncook wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I agree with what you said. You would trhink by now some electronic genius would tell us the clue to resetting the latest Canon Chipped cartridges. Can't we buy an epson chip resetter and then convert it ?
What if we never remove the cartidge and keep refilling it while its in the machine . Wopuld that work ?
I have a canon MP150 and am pretty P.O. about the chip. I have always relied on Canons as they have allowed refilling.
regards John
That's a bit like suggesting that an old 1970's vintage mini could be converted into a formula one sports car in 3 days, because it's a car..

The two types of chips are very different including eveything from encryption, clock speed, size, functionality, etc...

Also worth noting that it took over 9 months for someone to crack the Epson chips when they came out and this is likely to take as long, if not longer..
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:32 AM   #8

Hello. I've taken notice that most of the postings are from last year.

Has thier been any development on resetting the Chips on the Canon Pixma MP830?

I would really apreciate knowing something new and functional.

Thankyou.

chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:57 PM   #9

Perhaps some one will have a notion as to this :

ref: http://shopdyesub.com/Canon%20Inks.htm

About 1/4 the way down the page for 24.95$

Look at the flashing **NEW** icons.

Good luck.

chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:36 PM   #10

chippedoff wrote:
Quote:
Hello. I've taken notice that most of the postings are from last year.

Has thier been any development on resetting the Chips on the Canon Pixma MP830?
There's some discussion on nifty-stuff.com but it looks like you might already have found that..