Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Apr 26, 2003, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Krappy Kodak Ultima prints on S9000

Has anyone been able to get usable prints on the canon s9000 or 900 printer? I get ink pooling and what looks like print head misalignment (spaces between each print row). My printer works great with Canon Paper... but I am all out and need to get a job done. Heeelp!

mike
satanclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:44 PM   #2

According to Kodak's web site for ideal printer settings on their papers (http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/d...ettings1.shtml), Kodak recommeds setting the driver to;

Media Type: Plain paper
Print Quality: Custom> Quality= High, Diffusion
Color Adjustment: Manual> Intensity +10
Effects: Image & Photo Optimizer Pro Applied Throughout Page
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:57 PM   #3

Default prints on S9000 or S900

If you are near an Office Max store try their house brand paper: "professional glossy photo paper". A line on the box states: vivid images for professional results. We use the paper in a S900. Very satisfied with the prints.
J Eachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:39 AM   #4

i had the settings from the Kodak web site. The results were terrible. They were only slighty better when i cahnged the option to glossy, but i dont want to waste tons of paper trying to figure out the right settings.

Has anyone had any success.

What settings do u use for the office max paper? How does it compare to the photo pro paper?
Old Apr 27, 2003, 1:32 PM   #5

Default paper

Michael,
Side by side comparison between Office Max professional glossy and Canon Photo Paper Pro: Office Max @ glossy
photo paper setting. Gives brighter colors (paper is whiter) than Canon. Canon has the better detail when looked at extremely close (just a few inches). Canon printed @ photo paper pro. Also printed Office Max @ photo paper pro. Colors
very close to Canon. Canon paper has higher gloss and finer detail when viewed up close. Office Max "Premium Photo Inkjet
Paper" may be comparable to Canon "Photo Paper Pro". From the back of the box I have: " Specially formulated Ink Jet Coating on Photo Paper delivers high resolution images with the look and feel of a real photograph. Perfect for any Digital photograph, Photo CD or other image where True Graphic Definition and the feel of a real photo is needed."

To save on photo paper, print out on plain paper first to get an idea of the final results. You may already do this.

Draft copy of this is not broken up as it is on the preview copy. Have you had problems with cleaning the print heads?
J Eachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:18 PM   #6

no probs wiht the print head.

I just can't get the Kodak paper to print properly. I have no problems with Canon paper. It all just seems weird.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:47 AM   #7

I just took about $30.00 worth of Kodak Ultima Photo Paper back to Office Max after the first print. I bought one package of the 4 x 6 heavyest paper they had. I believe it was the 71lb. stock. It was cheezy and cheap feeling from the 'get go'. But, I stuck a sheet into my Canon i950 and using the same settings that I use for the Canon Glossy Pro Paper I cranked out something that looked like my dog just licked my first graders water color painting!

Needless to say, I took that TP back and rounded up some more Canon Pro Paper! Stick with what works is my newest motto.

Tim
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:49 AM   #8

I just took about $30.00 worth of Kodak Ultima Photo Paper back to Office Max after the first print. I bought one package of the 4 x 6 heavyest paper they had. I believe it was the 71lb. stock. It was cheezy and cheap feeling from the 'get go'. But, I stuck a sheet into my Canon i950 and using the same settings that I use for the Canon Glossy Pro Paper I cranked out something that looked like my dog just licked my first graders water color painting!

Needless to say, I took that TP back and rounded up some more Canon Pro Paper! Stick with what works is my newest motto.

Tim
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:50 PM   #9

Default kodak paper and canon printer

i have a canon s820 which is very similar to the s900. have been looking for an alternative to canon papers. just purchased konicas pjoto glossy and silky paper. Worked very well using PPP settings and high gloss folm settings.

kodak's new software has a one touch setting for use with their ultima papers. it actually worked pretty well no pooling. the colors were alot warmer but very acceptable. try downloading kodak's software, it's free.

i still prefer to print using qimage. just want to find alternative papers.

:lol:
JR Cinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:44 AM   #10

I got the same problem when I use Kodak Premium Glossy Paper on my i950. The print setting recommendation by Kodak will help you eliminate some "grain" and the annoying "oil painting" look, but the color is just off the grid.

So I visited the Canon website and search for solution to this problem. The only recommandation they give is the following:
-Use Canon Photo Paper Pro setting
-move slider to 1 instead of 2
-use Auto half toning
Then I made another print using this setting, nothing much is improved, only a slight improvement on the sharpness, but the grainy oil painting look still found in shadow and dark areas.

I guess this is an unsolvable problem unless Kodak re-manufacture the paper surface to work with the i950 print head, or... like Canon suggest to use Photo Paper Pro.

Godspeed70
godspeed70 is offline   Reply With Quote