Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 22, 2006, 3:38 PM   #1

I'm looking for resources to find refill kits or replacement cartridges for a Canon ip 5200. I've hunted on the net with no luck. Anybody know of any sources? Thanks, Prettygirl34
prettygirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 3:14 AM   #2

prettygirl34 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for resources to find refill kits or replacement cartridges for a Canon ip 5200. I've hunted on the net with no luck. Anybody know of any sources? Thanks, Prettygirl34
There's a slew of discussion on that topic on this forum and a few others..

refs:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

You probably want to search using keywords: "ip4200 canon chip"

... The bottom line is that there is indeed ink compatible with the iP4200.. Not many people are reporting about the iP5200 and given that it's a small droplet size you want to be paying attention to reports of successful long term use from experienced users before you jump as the potential for a clog is greater than the iP4200.

eBay has a slew of "compatibles" available but they all require the chip to be moved from the old cartridge to the replacement one and this still results in the warning that you'll lose your warranty if you continue so refilling with tried and tested ink would, if you can stand the learning curve and mess, a cheaper and more reliable option.

Hope that lot helps..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:56 PM   #3

In answer to the comments aboutthe potential problems regarding small ink droplets in the 5200 I can confirm that I have refilled more than once now on my cartridges without any clogging problems. To add insult to injury the inks that I used came frm a universal refil kit bought at an Aldi discount store. I have however found it necessary to adjust the magenta settings to remove a slight colour cast as reported in at least one of the other threads on here regarding these Canon printers.

If I do begin to have clogging problems I will replace the printer and start the whole process again. With the current price of the printers as low as they are (around £80 - £100), and the ridiculous price of cartridges just 4 refils will save more money than a new printer will cost. Although annoyed by the way Canon have tried to force us to buy only their cartridges I do still like the quality of the prints.

A word of caution though if you do use refilled cartridges. The printer will no longer report on the ink levels in any refilled cartridge and printing with empty cartridges in th printer could result in print head damage. Check the levels regularly and refil before they are completely empty.
millerbezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:40 AM   #4

prettygirl34 wrote:
Quote:
I ALWAYS use Canon OEM inks for my iP6000D(BCI-6) and MP500(CLI-8) printers. . . . the cost? I buy ALL my CANON OEM inks from Amazon and pay as little as 1/3 to as much as 1/2 the cost of retail prices! PLUS the shipping is free utilizing the "FREE Super Saver Shipping"(so far, every time I've placed an order it qualified for the free shipping.

Currently the CLI-8 inks(which you use) are running high; just place those inks on your "Shopping List" and each time you sign on . . . if the price has changed you are notified. The BCI-6 inks are between 1/3 to 1/2 of retail right now. The pricing fluctuates so I kinda stock up.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal!

By the way, I don't know where you're from . . . I'm talking about Amazon in the USA. Don't know if pricing elsewhere would be different.

Good luck.
lhino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:41 AM   #5

prettygirl34 wrote:
Quote:
I ALWAYS use Canon OEM inks for my iP6000D(BCI-6) and MP500(CLI-8) printers. . . . the cost? I buy ALL my CANON OEM inks from Amazon and pay as little as 1/3 to as much as 1/2 the cost of retail prices! PLUS the shipping is free utilizing the "FREE Super Saver Shipping"(so far, every time I've placed an order it qualified for the free shipping.

Currently the CLI-8 inks(which you use) are running high; just place those inks on your "Shopping List" and each time you sign on . . . if the price has changed you are notified. The BCI-6 inks are between 1/3 to 1/2 of retail right now. The pricing fluctuates so I kinda stock up.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a deal!

By the way, I don't know where you're from . . . I'm talking about Amazon in the USA. Don't know if pricing elsewhere would be different.

Good luck.
lhino9 is offline   Reply With Quote