Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Hi, I am new here and I hope you can help. I recently refilled my cartridges with refill ink. For the first cartridge I followed the disable of the ink level indicator. However since I have refilled additional cartridges I get the following error;

Ink tank errors have occurred. Open the printers cover and replace the ink tanks where the ink lamps are off.

I have been unable to get rid of this and am unable to print. I have checked the ink levels of all the cartridges and they all have ink in them.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.
u35268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

u35268 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am new here and I hope you can help. I recently refilled my cartridges with refill ink. For the first cartridge I followed the disable of the ink level indicator. However since I have refilled additional cartridges I get the following error;

Ink tank errors have occurred. Open the printers cover and replace the ink tanks where the ink lamps are off.

I have been unable to get rid of this and am unable to print. I have checked the ink levels of all the cartridges and they all have ink in them.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.
You may need to just press and hold down the "resume" button for 5 seconds before releasing and it will probably allow you to continue with the levels disabled for the cartridge you refilled.

Beyond that I'd check that your cartridge chips are clean, haven't moved and that you haven't soiled the contacts within the printhead unit..


websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the help, but it is still coming up with the same warning

Ink tank errors have occurred. Open the printers cover and replace the ink tanks where the ink lamps are off.


There is ink in there, how can we override this?
u35268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

u35268 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the help, but it is still coming up with the same warning

Ink tank errors have occurred. Open the printers cover and replace the ink tanks where the ink lamps are off.


There is ink in there, how can we override this?
This is sounding eerily familiar and may be a by-product of the new chips and a possible lock that Canon have put in place that stops people from printing unless they have at least one non-empty or non-refilled cartridge in their printer.

There's no proof that this is the problem though so here's a few things to try.

1. Remove all the cartridges
2. Carefully clean the chips to make sure there's no dirt of anything else that might interrupt the chips use/signal/etc..
3. Replace one cartridge into the system at a time, replacing the lid between each time.

Consider trying to power off the printer either between each cartridge replacement or after replacing all 5 of them..


Note: by "replacing" I mean, putting them back into the printer, not putting new carts in.

If you still don't get anywhere consider variations on the above instructions, eg: emptying the printer, turning it off, replacing cartridges and then turning back on... etc..

It may be that the printer logic needs a reset and this may do it but I honestly can't be sure..

Worse comes to worst, there is a report in the Ink-jet printer forum that indicates that replacing just one of the cartridges may resurrect the printer. This has not been confirmed as yet.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

For your own reference you should read this thread...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40


I would also take a look at this post in particular as I had a wild assed theory that may work or it may not..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...541158#p541158

Either way it does seem that purchasing and installing at least one new cartridge does work..

If you don't do much photo printing I'd highly recommend you get a PCI-8BK cart as you'll rarely use it and thus suffer this problem a lot less..


Hope this helps and please let us know what you find out with as much detail as possible..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:25 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for replying.

Have tried as you suggested and still no joy.

One of the cartridges has not been refilled, so is the original, so am not convinced that buying 1 new cartridge will work

When the large black ran out we had a warning and we had an option to override, and now this does not flash, but the 3 coloured ones we have refilled do flash.

Is there something we can do to override this? Don't want to have to spend a fortune on "proper" cartridges and I need to print out photos to scrap!
u35268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

u35268 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for replying.

Have tried as you suggested and still no joy.

One of the cartridges has not been refilled, so is the original, so am not convinced that buying 1 new cartridge will work
Hmm.. well there goes that theory then... it seems that something else is going on here.

Quote:
When the large black ran out we had a warning and we had an option to override, and now this does not flash, but the 3 coloured ones we have refilled do flash.
Just to check... You've only overridden one cartridge so far (ie: accepted the warning) and you're experiencing problems with others that you've refilled but that weren't declared empty?

I'm just wondering if these cartridges were all showing "low" warnings before you refilled them and the printer has interpreted the sudden increase in ink (ie: you refilling) as an error.

You could try taking out the three flashing cartridges, recycling the power button and then putting one cartridge in again to see if that gets accepted.. If it does, recycle the power again and put another one in..

It could possibly be that the printer can't go through the warning with 3 cartridges all at the same time..

Quote:
Is there something we can do to override this? Don't want to have to spend a fortune on "proper" cartridges and I need to print out photos to scrap!
No idea I'm afraid... Worst case scenario you may have to purchase the 3 cartridges that are flashing to reset the printer..

I guess all I can suggest is to try and think outside the box...

One last suggestion might be to drain the cartridges you have.. put them back in (again one at a time) and let the printer ID them as empty (hopefully then that may reset its internal error and allow you to refill them and then trigger the 3 warning routine again.

It's all guess work but it's worth a shot and if in doubt power the printer off at least once between each attempt.. small steps and patience definitely required..

Best of luck...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:16 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Have tried to replace one by one with no luck and my DH thinks he did refill with no warning, do not think we will be able to empty so am going to bite the bullet and buy 3 new ones, so do you know where we can get them the cheapest and quickest?

Thanks for all your help

Angela
u35268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

u35268 wrote:
Quote:
Have tried to replace one by one with no luck and my DH thinks he did refill with no warning, do not think we will be able to empty so am going to bite the bullet and buy 3 new ones, so do you know where we can get them the cheapest and quickest?

Thanks for all your help

Angela
No idea I'm afraid but I'd cast around for price comparison websites and see if they are of any help.

eBay is one option but just make sure you get genuine carts with the chips intact, etc...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:31 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5
Default

OK have gone and bought 3 new cartridges, all the lights are now on except the bigest black (which give us an override option) and it is still giving us the same warning.

Please someone help, as it is about to be chucked out the window!!!!!!!!!!!!
u35268 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:46 PM.