Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1

I've been looking for a review on Ilford Smooth High Gloss and Ilford Smooth Gloss but I can't find any information.Aside from the obvious, the high gloss is probably a little glossier and it's almost twice the cost.

Does anybody have any experience with these two papers? Does the high gloss have a better color range or contrast range than the gloss?
stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:55 PM   #2

Iford's High Gloss is unique. It most resembles Cibachrome. That was a photo paper used to print directly from slides. The paper was actually a thin plastic sheet and the emulsions were embedded in it--rather than on it. The result was a perfectly smooth mirror-like finish with great depth and the deepest blacks I've ever seen.

On the other hand, Ilford's Smooth Gloss has a traditonal glossy paper finish. I use both.

I've only used a Canon i9900 with the High Gloss. The results are superb. The profile Ilford provides free (downloaded from their site) is spot on.

I consider it a specialty paper. I think it's unmatched for certain nature and macro work.

I've tried Pictorico Glossy and Fuji Gallery Select. Neither equals Ilford's High Gloss finish.

My only complaint is that the maximum size is 8.5x11.
wragl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3

wragl- thanks for the response!

The pictorico paper you are refering to. Is it the high gloss "white film"? Found here: http://www.pictorico.com/category/5-PGHG-White-Film.htm

Because that is actually the paper I was hoping to find a replacement for. I found with the Pictorico White Film I could see very faint lines/scratches from some of the star wheel/pizza wheels from the printer. I don't notice this from other glossy papers. I was hoping that Ilford Smoth High Gloss was very close to Pictorico only maybe a slightly more durable surface.

stallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:59 PM   #4

I haven't tried Pictorico White Film, only the Photo Gallery Glossy.

Aside from the scratches and surface abrasions (some aside), were you pleased the Pictorico White Film?
wragl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5

I tried Ilford Smooth High Gloss Media over the weekend. When I opened the box, the long edges of the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets were curled toward the printable side a little. When run through my epson r1800, the print head was obviously catching on the edge each pass, actually to the point of jaming the printer and ruining the last inch of the print.:?

Several questions...has anyone else experienced this? Did I just get a bad box of paper? Has anyone figured out how to uncurl the paper before printing without messing up the surface?

BTW, the prints that made it through succesfully look great! Use Ilfords downloadable profile without any additional tweaking. I was a little disappointed in the appearance as I had heard about it's "cibachrome" look-a-like quality (which in my opinion, it's not) Probably just like seeing a really good movie that everone told you was great.:-)

Any ideas?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote