Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 23, 2003, 12:11 PM   #1

Default Canon Paper, To Many Choices

1) Matte Photo Paper
2) Photo Paper Plus Glossy
3) Photo Paper Pro
4) High Resolution Paper
5) High Gloss Photo Film
6) Glossy Photo Paper

OK so what are the differences between these besides what the web site says which is no real help. Is there a place that has posted pictures printed on these papers where you can see the difference if any? :shock:
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 1:47 PM   #2

Stick to the pro paper or the Epson premium glossy which is very close to the same thing but significantly cheaper. The only thing it lacks is the higher archival abilities that the cannon pro paper has. basically 15 years vs 25 years.

For your matte paper I say look to the Red River stuff.

For your in between papers look to the Epson Premium luster paper. (Use the cannon Pro paper setting.)

For your really archival prints use the Epson semiglossy colorlife paper. (use the glossy film setting)
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 11:05 AM   #3

if you have a canon printer - stick to canon papers NOT epsons or others... Only on Canon papers your prints will last because they are especially designed for canon inks. So if you use epson paper on canon printer, your prints may fade even after a few weeks/months.

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
if you have a canon printer - stick to canon papers NOT epsons or others... Only on Canon papers your prints will last because they are especially designed for canon inks. So if you use epson paper on canon printer, your prints may fade even after a few weeks/months.

Wayne
Really why are there so many Professional and consumer cannon users out there using Epson premium papers and enjoying them greatly.

Why is it that the Epson Colorlife Semiglossy paper has been tested to last 3 times longer than any of cannons own papers printed on a cannon printer????
Why is it consumers have used Red River papers like thier matte paper and fell in love with the prints produced on this paper???? One consumer was here last week saying how his Cannon matte paper produced lines and faded colors. Once he switched over to Red River papers there was no lines and the colors were brighter sharper and vivid in comparison to the Cannon Matte paper.

I have talked to many photographers who have tested this themselves.

I have two prints here one done on Cannon Pro Paper and one done on Epson Premium Glossy Paper Both of them printed on a Cannon 830D. I have had them for almost a year and there is no difference between the two as of yet.

Please before you go shooting off advice look around for the real answers because they are out there. There is better stuff than Cannon out there. No one manufacture has all the answers. Thats why forums like this are out there. So we can help each other out.
Old May 29, 2003, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregersonsalvage
Really why are there so many Professional and consumer cannon users out there using Epson premium papers and enjoying them greatly.

Why is it that the Epson Colorlife Semiglossy paper has been tested to last 3 times longer than any of cannons own papers printed on a cannon printer????
Where did you get this info from?

Besides many users don't know which paper is good for their Canons. Some of them choose Red River papers which are quite good but they probably haven't seen output from other Canon papers. So don't say red river paper is better than Canons - this is NOT true.

And you probably are an amateur and don't use printers on which comment because you say so many thing that are just not true ...

Wayne
Old May 29, 2003, 12:27 PM   #6

BTW:

Canon Not Cannon
Old May 30, 2003, 7:05 AM   #7

Really then you probably haven't seen the post about me being an Epson Rep for 3 years. I've worked with Canon, HP, Epson, Minolta, Brother, Samsung printers for the last 3 years.

as for the Red River papers
Probably you did'nt see this post
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10085
and this one
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=red+river
and..
ummm...

You are right a lot of consumers don't know what to buy but when they come here and we give them advice we do the best we can to distribute good advice. The only papers Canon has going for it right now is The Pro Paper which has an archival rating of 25 years and the High Res Paper which pulls very good prints on Canon and most printers. The Glossy plus is cheap and does a decent initial print but fades very quickly. Cannon Matte paper is very thin. Glossy film will produce a great print but yet again it will fade quickly because it is not archival.
Old May 30, 2003, 9:00 AM   #8

1. Rep. doesn't mean some serious professional or worker you know but I assume that you have some knowledge...

2. People write many things, so don't give me user posts as your info base. I would like to see some pro site where there is a straight comparision between Canons Pr-101 and other papers also in terms of fading.

3. I agree: prints form some Canons cheaper papers may fade quicker but one must remember that they should be kept away from ozone layers, sunlight, air and others... I have used Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy and the resultes where great similar to pr-101 paper though I haven't used Canons Matte paper so I can't say anything about it.

4. There is one paper that is somehow even better than Canon Photo Pro - Olympus Pictorico Photo Gallery Glossy - the results are the same or even better than Canons paper but I am not sure about fading.

5. I still think that red river paper isn't as good as Canons Photo Paper Pro or Photo Paper Plus Golssy.

6. Have you seen a forum on dp-now.com ? There is an interesting discussion there about papers for canon printers from other manufacturers and also some photos comparing print quality.

Wayne
Old May 30, 2003, 9:41 AM   #9

Have you tried Epson premium glossy paper. Has the same feel and texture of the Pro Paper better archival rating than the Glossy Plus paper and a price about half that of the Pro paper. You can get it on Buy.com 15 bucks for a 50 pack of 4x6 Premium Glossy paper shipped.

I'm not a professional worker but I've dealt with many who do the bussiness and print pictures on a daily basis. Favorite papers among the pros tend to be Epsons luster paper, Epson Semiglossy paper, Epson Matte Paper, Red river papers, Konica papers, and the latest release of HP paper has produced some very encouraging initial results. I've also been privy to the results seen on these papers.

Also if you want a good photo website try http://dpreview.com more people from both sides of the camp there.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:24 AM   #10

How do you know that Epson premium glossy has better archival rating than Canons Photo Pro?

Ok I'll try those papers and write what I think of them in a couple of days.

So can you tell me what is the best paper for photo printing (not too expensive, with good archival rating, very shiny - like pr-101 and similar texture) and for printing business documents (coated or plain or bright white) on Canon i850?

Wayne