Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Jul 12, 2002, 1:02 PM   #1

Default How Can Images Last on Paper....

Some prints I did with inkjet a few years back are totally faded. How can this be avoided? Better paper, or some sort of spray fixative?

tks
tom-z7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2002, 2:12 PM   #2

Default print longevity

Print longevity is a function of the ink and the paper used, plus the storage conditions. The newest Epson and Canon *photo* printers (NOT their general purpose printers) claim to produce prints that will last 25 years. Epson also makes a photo printer with different inks that will last 75+ years. Displaying under glass may be needed to reach these claimed longevities.
travis_belton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2002, 2:52 PM   #3

I'm using an old Epson Stylus Pro, refill inks, and generic glossy paper. Guess I'm not looking at too much longevity. Any sorts of fixatives like artists use that might work?

tks.
tom-z7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:44 PM   #4

try archival inks and paper, try to put the prints in albums and/or picture frame...thats all i've done...none of mine pics ever faded....i print from hp970cse and epson 1280
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 6:01 PM   #5

an epson 1270/1280 using archival matte paper placed in a glass covered fram can last up to 20+ years not in direct light.

the 2200 claims up to 80 Yrs with their pigment based ultrachrome inks under the same conditions. and capable of printing pretty damn good B&W prints
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:20 AM   #6

Default Fading pics

Light is the factor that causes inkjet pics to fade. Sunlight is the worst as the UV rays break down the ink. Most of the new inks are very fade resistant according to the marketing people. Pics that last 75 years will out last me by 50. I also use refill ink and have pics that are 5 and 6 years old that are in albums. Archive the pics and reprint them is my last suggestion.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:46 AM   #7
lg

Default Try the Epson C80...

Tom, I feel your pain! While I have been an Epson printer fan for quite some time, I was disappointed with the longevity of the Epson 800 and 880 print inks. Last year, I purchased an Epson C80, which advertises, "Water-resistant DuraBrite™ Inks with up to 70 year light-resistance..." I haven't noticed any fading in any of the pics I have taken this past year, and based on that I can highly recommend this printer as being better than any other I have owned. I suppose time will tell in the years to come whether their claim is valid.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:01 AM   #8

Default seal the pictures

you can also use a sealer sold at art & craft stores with a UV blocker. I used krylon acrylic sealer with UV but it did put a little green tint on light gray hair but that might have been becasue i covered it in direct sun light and just gave it a day to dry.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:45 PM   #9

Look at the HiTi 630 ps or pl printers. The pics have a protective covering added in the last cycle of printing. Read Steve's review about the printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote