Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:33 PM   #1

I've been refilling the 6 cartridges on my canon i960 for about a year now with inkjetgoodies refills-- and I am not even close to emptying the bottles yet.* It's worked out really well for me, I've saved a ton, and this was really easy to do.I've just started getting a severe magenta cast on my photos.* I've cleaned and deep cleaned the heads.**Do you think this is the ink getting old or do you think it's another issue, i.e print head?Thanks for your help----Scott
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:35 AM   #2

Strangely enough the only problem I had was with the magenta, in my case it was the strong magenta cast coupled with the printer"using" magenta far more quickly than it should, turned out to bea faulty cartridge body, it could be worth checking the ink levels by eye, my magenta was a good 1/4 tank below the other colours. Luckily I had ordered 3 sets of bodies so had a spare I could use.

If you haven't got a spare Inkjet Goodies cartridge body you can always refill an original empty Canon or other make with the Inkjet Goodies ink and try that, just knock in the moulded fill plug on the body and replace it with the rubber bung.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

Hmmmm.* Interesting Phaedra-- thanks.* I will try another cartridge. You never said whether that cured your problem.* Did it?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:39 PM   #4

Yes I did :-)"turned out to bea faulty cartridge body" replacing the cartridge cureed the problem
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:56 PM   #5

Alas-- new cartridge, no cure.**[img]/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif[/img]Nice try, though--
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:11 AM   #6

Ah well ...... :-)

OK, next things, have you changed photo papers?, have you tried removing the printer from the system (complete uninstall) and re-installing the drivers?, do you have a second PC or a friends PC you can do a clean install on and see if the problem persists?.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:05 PM   #7

All good ideas, Phaedra, but I've pretty much ruled out most of the usual suspects: all papers show the Magenta cast; ip4200 from same computer looks perfect; tried a new replacement Magenta cartridge; re-installed old software; downloaded newer driver from Canon.

Haven't tried this printer on another machine, but it is networked to another computer, and it's still the same. I'm not really sure how to tell if the printhead is dodgy-- do you? The nozzle test looks all right to me, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for there.

The thing is, I was sure you had nailed it since the Magenta ink is going at a faster rate. I suppose it could just be the result of non-canon ink. I mean, I surely killed my Epson by using cheap ink.

I've had good luck with the inkjetgoodies stuff, though, so far, but I'm pretty stymied at this point.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far, keep the ideas coming, in the meantime here is a pic that'll show you what I'm up against. It's a pretty bad scan showing the 4200 vs. the 960.

--Scott

Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 PM   #8

We could be going about this the wrong way!, it may not be that there's too much Magenta, just not enough Green which would also give a Magenta cast. Are you using ICC colour profiles when printing?, using more that 1 can cause this.

Have you replaced the Yellow and/or Cyan cartridges? maybe worth a try. Otherwise, go into the colour profile settings and try decreasing the Magenta or increasing the Green.

Printing from a networked printer wouldmean the printers stillusing the same drivers/profile as when it's printing from the PC it's connected to, you could do a clean install on the other PC and connect it directly and see if that changes anything.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:45 AM   #9

yeah-- diddling with the profiles will probably work.* I can get it close, but it's going to take a lot of test prints.* I've really grown used to using Easy Photoprint.* 3 clicks and I have a really outstanding photo (or used to.)* Better than with Photoshop, iPhoto, or others, I've found. The imbedded Canon profiles were perfect.*

Unfortunately Easy Photoprint disables all printer color managent.* I'd sure rather fix the problem than invent a work-around-- know what I mean?* But I can't seem to pipoint the problem.*

I'm still wondering if it's a printhead issue, but I'm not even sure how to diagnose that.* Oh well...* Thanks loads for the suggestions so far. Any other ideas?

--Scott
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:45 PM   #10

Hey Scott. Is that ever interesting that you have the exact same problem as I am having. I too have the Canon I960, using Inkjetgoodies Ink and have suddenly a problem with my magenta overcast. I have changed nothing in drivers, paper, ink, or anything that might have caused this. Instead of buying a complete set of Canon Inks and getting a new printhead from Canon, I just went out a bought a new Canon Pixma MP830 printer. I thought that if I spend all the money for new ink and print head, and it still doesn't solve my problem, I'm out a few hundred dollars. I think I will stick to genuine Canon Ink from now on. I'm not blaming Inkjetgoodies, I just want to cut my suspects from now on.

Brian
emailsucks is offline   Reply With Quote