Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old May 27, 2003, 2:20 PM   #1

Default Canon i950 with premium photo glossy paper - fading?

I've recently bought the i950 and have been using the Canon premium photo glossy 4x6 paper. I noticed recently that a picture on my monitor was changing. The black areas were becoming reddish and the color was fading. I caulked it up to heat.

But.....I had some pictures at work that were laying on my desk and the same thing is happening. The colors are fading and the black/dark areas are becoming reddish in tint. The lighting at home is incandescent bulbs and at work is flourescent. What is going on here? Is this normal? I'm talking a total time of 3-4 weeks laying out. I'm a little disappointed. You can even see the outline of another picture that was laying on the other... that's how distinct the color fading is.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Wilson
wsilverth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2003, 3:02 PM   #2

If you are using the cannon photo glossy paper which is the bottom of the line cannon paper this should be expected as that paper is not archival.

Try using the Cannon Pro Paper or the Epson Premium Glossy paper. They will get you better archival abilities and better colors.

IF you are really serious about archival check into the Epson colorlife semiglossy color life paper. Or look into using Red River Matte papers.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 8:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the input on my problem with fading. I'm at home now and actually have the paper package in front of me.

The paper is

Canon - Photo Paper Plus Glossy

Is this low quality paper?

I was very shocked after a month it was faded?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Wilson
wsilverth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 9:50 PM   #4

The max life of that paper in a glass frame under a flourescent lit room is about 3-5 years.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 6:22 PM   #5

Default Canon Photo Glossy Paper

Yes, that paper is of lower (considerable) quality than the Canon Phto Paper Pro. You can also try the following papers. Red River Polar Gloss (if you like gloss) has improved light and gas fastness over their Ultra Pro Gloss paper so it will have much better archival qualities (although I find the latter to be pretty good). Their Polar Matte also has good archival qualities. However all are going to fade with in several years there is no stopping it.

What most people foget is that regular photos will fade over time also. Most people in this country get their prints done at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, the drug store etc.. Testing has shown that those prints left out or just thrown in a shoe box will begin to fade in between 7-10 years. Properly stored they have a much longer life but then properly stored inkjet prints have longer life also. This is an area where things are getting better slowly. I look forward (and believe it is coming) when dye based inks and papers will last 20 years but we are not there yet.

Bill100
Bill100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:21 PM   #6

I don't think that Wilson is really refering to noraml fading. Like you say traditional prints fade after YEARS, not weeks or months.

Wilson: I have prints on photo paper pro, which is canon's top of the line. Believe me: it STILL FADES fairly quickly. This is a real disappointment to an otherwise great printer.

Ive done some reading at dpreview and photo-i.uk and now will ry "swellable" papers like the new HP paper and Kodak top of the line. THese papers have a swellable layer that covers the print as it dries. The drying is slower, but the prints should last a lot longer. Haven't tried them yet though.
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote