Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Kodak Pro dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2003, 8:52 PM   #1
Default Steve Posts Pro 14n Review

If you want to know about the new Kodak Pro 14n SLR then check out my review:

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:26 PM   #2

First off, thank you very much for this site. Itís absolutely the best.

Now, I must say that Iím very disappointed with the Kodak DSC Pro 14n and I think your review is right on the mark.

The physical operation of the camera, aside from feeling a bit awkward when shooting vertically, is just fine and the menu system is easy enough to navigate. The image manipulation is great but the image quality is extremely disappointing. Your review talks about the lack of anti-aliasing and the results are very noticeable and objectionable in the pictures. You also speak of the lack of detail in the shadow areas and the blotchy pixels that are also very noticeable.

I just donít get it, this is the same Kodak that weíve grown to trust and admire as the leaders in motion picture imaging, right? What happened to this project? If this was film, Kodak would be laughed out of the room.

When I look at the sample images on Kodakís web site and see the artifacts in the hair of the models and the blotchy shadows under the neck or in the backgrounds, Iím so glad I didnít sell any of my other 5 Nikon camera and drop 5 grand to pre-order one of these cameras. Iím also glad I waited for your review to be posted because I thought I was the only one who saw these picture artifacts. At a recent photo show in Pasadena, CA, the Kodak reps were proudly displaying a print (poster size) that was shot with the DSC Pro 14n. From a distance it looked fine but when you took a closer look, all of the same artifacts were present. Naturally, they didnít want to talk about these problems and simply stated that the software wasnít ready yet and the problems would go away with the release version.

If anyone i know asks me about which camera to buy, Iím telling them to get a Canon D60 or a 1Ds!

Ken Preston
oasisprod is offline   Reply With Quote