Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1

It seems to me the zoom on my z612 is quite fast and hard to control for fine increment zooms. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my camera? I had a DX6490 which had a much smoother zoom that was easier to control.

Thought or comments? :?
42stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:17 AM   #2

I've had a Z612 for a few days and following a Z650. The zoom on the Z612is fast and is because that's what people wanted. Speed, speed and more speed. :-)
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3

I would aggree that the Z612 zoom is too fast. I bought the camera because it was the only camera that I could find that had Optical stabilization, MPEG-4 Video, and decent battery life. I would have settled for the 6X zoom of the Kodak V550, if it wasn't for the absolutly unacceptable 120 shots of battery life per charge.

The zoom on the Z612 seems to be optimized to get you from 1X to 12X in as few seconds as possible (like 3 seconds?). It is next to impossible to go from 2X to 3X zoom, without overshooting the mark. Kodak could have implemented an accelated zoom, where it starts slow, and then speeds up the longer you hold the zoom button. This is how mouse and touchpad drivers have worked for 20 years now. Hopefully a firmware upgrade can address this issue.

Note: I also think the zoom buttons are backwards. IMO, the zoom button closer to my thumb should "pull back" the zoom (the "W" function) and when I stretch my thumb to the left to theother button, I should be "zooming in" (the "T" function). This seems more natural to me, but I might get used to the way Kodak did it.
gromittoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:45 PM   #4

You are correct. The Zoom on my Daughter's Z612 is faster than my DX6490. As with any camera you must learn to deal with it's differences! After a while it will become second nature to zoom with it the way it is. Just a learning curve...that's all!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:10 AM   #5

I am not sure how the Z612 compares with my P850, but I also found the zoom fairly fast. I believe it cycles through 1x-12x zoom in about 2.5 seconds.

I have learned to be VERY precise with it, so if your camera is anything like mine, soon you will be able to stop at at least 15-20 different points during your zooming.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote