Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:31 PM   #21

True color accuracy just doesn't happen. The best we get is an approximation such that, if it is very good, fools us into believing that we are seeing as it is/was. Nothing we see in nature is a pure color and natural colors vary with the light. This was true in the film era and is certainly still true in the digital. Everyone designs the sensors, filters - both physical and mathematical, and other transformational algorithms to the best of their ability but in the end the results are shown to people and the results are tweaked to what the panels believe is accurate.

What I'm trying to say what we believe to be objectively accurate color is at best a lab phenomena. Even if we take a simple nine color box of crayons (red, orange,yellow, green, violet or purple, blue, brown, and black) in Western cultures we will not find a one to one correlation when shown to other cultures.

One comment mentioned that European's preferred more muted colors than we in the US. Having lived in Central Germany for eight years where the norm is said to 50 clear days a year it isn't real surprising that the expectation is for more muted colors compared raised in the U.S. Midwest.

My selection criteria is to find the camera that produces pictures that I'm satisfied with and pleases others with the minimum of post processing. That was the same standard I applied when I was a film photographer and doing my own darkroom work. Do the camera work right.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote