Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:24 PM   #1

Just anote for those who are thinking of using studio electronic flash, the telephoto lens, and manual P880 camera settings:

Kodak apparently does not provide exposure compensation info for the Xenar 1.4 lens with adapter, which is sold to fit the P880. Even in a return email from support they had no answer for me. They apparently expect "everyone" to use the TTL meter, despite the fact that the P880 is capable of studio work. This makes no sense to me given the stated purpose of the P880 as competition for pro digitals.

Luckily, I can figure it out for myself. It appears that no matter what you do with the zoom settings -- digital and/or manual --the exposure increase setting is a minimum of one f-stop. I calculated it out to a 0.97 f-stop increase with the various focal lengths. What I do is meter for f8 at 50 ISO and 1/60 sec.,and I set the camera at f8 at 100 ISO and 1/60 sec. I see no impact on grain. The long lens seems to shoot just as sharp as the standard lens alone, and I have more setup flexibility and depth of field when I need it. It appears that digital exposure is as inflexible as slide film. So, exact metering is essential for the best raw image result. And with the best raw image you get the best final image result, after you've used your computer's image manipulation software in a minimalist fashion.

photoartist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links