Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:09 PM   #1

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Z812. It will be here Friday, but wifey says I can't open until Christmas. She's buying, so I guess its her rules (sigh).

Meanwhile, I have some batteries on order, but I am having a heck of a time deciding what SD card to get. Kodak is of no help (at least none that I can find). They recommend their own brand, which is made by Lexmar (as near as I can tell). But I find nothing in the camera's specs as to brand, capacity, speed, etc. Now, just to complicate things further, I find SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, class 2, 4, 6). It looks like SDHC is hit or miss as to what devices it may be compatible with.

According to Wikipedia, "Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards. (And) Some manufacturers have produced 4 GB SD cards that conform to neither the SD2.0/SDHC spec nor existing SD devices." This could certainly account for some users' reports of lost data and/or inconsistent card size readings.

I've read repeated horror stories about this card or that card that are causing problems, but very little on what actually works.

So does anyone have a definitive answer as to which cards are compatible with the Z812? Preferably an answer directly from Kodak, but personal experiences as to what actually works or doesn't is appreciated as well. Please, no "Well, brand X worked on my ex-wife's sister's cousin's Olympus, so it should work on yours" type answers.

Thanks to all who took the time to read & reply.

-Frank
RedRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

Kodak reps in this forum and at DPReview has said that the Z712/Z812 cameras are compatible with SDHC cards, 4g and above. The Z812 Features and Benefits page also states this: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

It is also compatible with standard SD cards up to the 2G limit of the SD standard.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks. Ya know, I've probably seen that page at least a dozen time during my research over the past couple of weeks, and missed the part about SDHC support each time. In fact, I didn't notice it this time either, so I did a Firefox text search for SDHC & there it was. So I went back to some of the forums I've been visiting and searched for "SDHC" and got much more info than when I searched for "Secure Digital" or "Memory Card". Go figure!

I tend to get a little nervous & anxious during my period of ‘buyer's remorse', so I begin asking trivial questions, like this one. But soon after I get ahold of my new purchase (in this case the Z812) things settle down & I can think rationally again!

So right now I have a fairly good supply of SD cards, 2 GB & under, of varying speeds. Some are brand names & some are generic. I may explore High Capacity cards at a later date, but for now I think I'll use what I have. I'm not concerned at all about capturing video, and 200 to 300 pics per card will do me just fine.

-Frank
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:38 PM   #4

One other hint on cards for the Z*12 series. Those cameras have three levels of jpeg compresion, fine, standard (default) and basic. I've recently switched from standard to fine on my Z612 and that changed the estimated capacity on an empty 1GB card from about 320 to 247. I'd think you'd see lower capacities with the Z812. I think the actual jpeg compression ratios are the same on all the Z*12s.

Don't forget to post some pic's for the rest of us.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:31 AM   #5

Hi all,

I'm going to share my experiences with the Kodak Z812 IS, and you all can take it with a grain of salt. It does work with the 4gb SDHC; sort of. I've experienced several "unrecognized file format", as well as "card needs to be formatted" messages.

I formerly had a Kodak DX7630, and never experienced either of the aforementioned problems. I loved the darned thing, except for the fact that it took lousy evening pictures, and it fell into the Sea of Cortez, and stopped working. But back to the Z812 IS.

I'm currently on my second Z812 IS! I purchased my first one from Best Buy, and the thing crapped out on me after 16 days. They of course were not helpful, anddid not want to exchange the camera, nor refund my money. They shipped it out to be repaired, and the shop couldn't repair it, so Best Buy finally ended up exchanging it for me.(2 weeks later) The problem was that upon powering up, the lens would come out, then retract almost all the way in, and stay frozen like that.

Current issues that I'm facing with the replacement (also brand new) is that it:

1. Absolutely sucks the life out of AA batteries (get some Klic8000 rechargeables, not CRV3's as they power off quicker, even when there's plenty of juice)

2. I get the "unrecognized file format" with the 4gb SDHC card, as well as a 1gb SD card. (A-Data, and Kingston respectively)

3. I randomly get messages stating that the card is not formatted, even though I have already done so

4. LCD screen turns off when transferring photos via easyshare software, whereas it used to stay on. (checked EVF button)

I've had so many issues with this camera, that I am quite franklydiscouraged to EVER buy another KODAK again. It's such a contrast in performance to the DX 7630 I used to have. The listed features seem great, and if they worked flawlessly, and the camera wasn't so bulky, I'd love it. But unfortunately that's not the case.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions, as I feel I've tinkered around with the camera enough to know a decent amount about it.
glennjr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:48 AM   #6

It's reports like the one above /\ that prompted my original post. Could it be bad cards? Defective camera? Operator error? The common denominator in almost all the cases I read led be to think that the cards may be at issue. But the fact that Glenn is having problems with two brand name cards, one is SDHC and the other is a standard 1 GB makes me wonder if it is the camera that is at fault.

Glenn, maybe you can try the cards in another camera, and/or maybe get a hold of another card or two to try in your Z812. Just a thought.

Well, the good news is that my new Z812 arrived Friday afternoon. The bad news is that I had to give it up to Mrs Santa upon arrival! I tried to convince her that I needed to start practicing with the camera immediately so I could get some great Christmas shots. She said, "Not a chance! Christmas is on the 25th, and not a day sooner!" I promise to act REAL surprised!

-Frank
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:42 PM   #7

Kingston is a reputable brand as long as you aquired it from a reputable dealer. Fakes abound for all the major brands. A-Data is not a known brand to me.

Just a quick question - how were the cards formated originally?

Other observations - Don't use alkeline or NiMH AAs.Use only non-rechargeable lithiums or rechargable Li-Ions. I have, with my Z612two KLIC 8000s which I use in rotation and I keep a couple of CRV3s to back up the KLIC8000s (should I need to take more than 600 pics in a day:-)).

I can't imagine why the LCD screen would stay on during a file transfer using the EasyShare software. Seems like a huge waste of battery power to me. In fact transferring files directly from camera seems like a huge waste of battery power to me. I take the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader. It's faster and save my batteries for taking pictures.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:33 AM   #8

Both memory cards were purchased at a reputable location (Fry's Electronics), which is a large electronics chain out here. Cards were originally formatted in the camera. Only thing I can think of was that I may have switched from one mode to another, before the camera had finished writing to the card. (i.e. recorded video, and then changed the dial to "auto" camera mode). I also have a 2gb card which I need to locate and try.

I mention the LCD screen issue, because this was something the last camera, and even the second one used to do. Nowall of a sudden,itdoesn't do it anymore. It just seemed strange to me. Asfar as transferringphotosvia a card reader; I didn't have one before, hence the reason for using the camera. Ihave one now, so I useit more often.

In my honest opinion, I think it's the camera. Not just my individual camera, but all of the Z812 IS for that matter. As I mentioned before, I'm on my second camera, and the first one had the same issues too. The only reason I got the second one was that the Sony DSC-H9 that I was looking at was more expensive, and didn't have HD video like the KODAK.

I usually treat extended warranties like the plague, but purchased an "accidental" plan at a discounted price the second time around. So when myZ812 IS "accidentally" smashes into 100 pieces 4 years from now (with the SD card conveniently removed) I'll have enough credit to buy whatever Consumer Reports/CNET has as their top rated digital.

The latest on the cards is that the 1gb Kingston functions in the card reader, and a friend's digital camera. The 4gb A-Data doesn't work in any camera, nor card reader. Could it be a crappy memory card? Maybe. Did the card function at one point in time? Yes. Did it stop working after I used it in the Z812 IS? Yes. To me the common denominator is the camera. Culprit.... Camera. (If I were the only person who experienced these problems, then it could have been me; but I'm not, so it must be the camera)
glennjr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:02 AM   #9

It may well be the camera and you may have had the bad luck to have two bad ones but I doubt that all Z812 are bad since really I see only a couple of reports in all the Kodak related forums I participate in and I think there are a lot more Z812s in use than just that.

You might want to try the following (I'm writing the instructions for Windows although I assume similar functions are available in Linux and Mac):

1. Put your SD card (we'll skip the SDHC) in the card reader and manually copy any of your "must save" photos over to your computer HD.

2) Open My Computer and right mouse click on the drive that represents your SD card.

3) Select Properties from the pop-up menu.

4) Select the Tools tab on the Properties page and click the Check Now... button in the Error checking section of the page.

5) This will bring up a dialog box with two check boxes in it, check both boxes and click Start. This shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes on a 1G card.

6)When it completes it should give you a report if any errors are found/fixed. Test the card in the camera and see if there are any changes in behavior.

Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:55 PM   #10

I understand this is an historic thread but has anyone tried using a 16GB or 32GB SD card with this camera?

I saw that some "custom formatted" SD's with 4+GB are sold for this model. Does anyone know what format these sellers are using and if it can be done by oneself?

Thanks for any feedback.
Schlang is offline   Reply With Quote