Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Default Kodak or Canon

Hi everyone, I'm new here this is my first post. I am about to buy a new digital camera but can't make up my mind between the Canon G5 and the Kodak DX6490. They both seem to be excellent cameras but the Kodak appeals more because of it's 10 x zoom lens. I would like you opinions on which camera you would buy and why.

Thanks in advance.
bilmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:38 AM   #2
Default Kodak vs. Canon

I myself just went through the process before winding up with the EasyShare 6440DX. This is a camera I use in tandem with a film SLR and full set of lenses. I eventually plan to have a DSLR to mount my current set of lenses.

If I were you and if I did not already own an SLR, I would opt for the G5, as it includes the option of later adding a wider variety of assessories to tackle almost any type project, including the ability to mount a separate flash or extra wide and long lens attachments that go as long or wider than the Kodak.

If the Kodak 6490 performs as well as my 6440DX you cannot go wrong with either, though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks Greg, I've always been interested in photography but never had the cash to afford a half decent camera. Since retiring I have lots of time on my hands and a few dollars to spare and would like to really get into the hobby. My cheap Kodak digital camera has served me well over the past few years but it's only 1 megapixel and prints are out of the question. The specs on the 6490 look good and the fact that it has a 10 x zoom lens. The G5 is a better camera, I feel, and offers more bang for the buck but it will take me a while to learn how to use it. I think I'll end up with the G5 though as it was my first choice and I like a challlenge.

Thanks again for your advice.
bilmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4

I went with a Canon G3 although I just ordered
it on Friday from Beach Camera and it's coming today. Here are my reasons for Canon over DX
6490 and C 750.
1. Canon has alot of forum support and info on the net.
2. On the "full size" test images on Steve's and imageresource.com, it appears to me that the G3
is sharper.
3. I feel weird about the electronic viewfinder
4. G3 is an established product with alot of
reviews. DX6490 only has limited so far.
( G3 is $100 cheaper than the G5 ) Good luck
jstr is offline   Reply With Quote