Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:57 PM   #1

I bought a brand new Z712 this weekend at Office Max for 150.00. I have seen them even lower before but finally gave in and pulled the trigger.

I bought it based on the comments here that it is still one of the better Kodak superzooms. Plus the pictures here are impressive!

Hope to post some pics soon...The Z8612 tempted me but in the end the EVF of the Z712 won me over. Price did not hurt either...
BigCTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:48 AM   #2

I see in the latest leaflet from my local camera shop that they list the Z1012is at ukĀ£229 (c.$450). I don't know if they've actually got any in stock, but it sounds as though they've tried it out. This may explain ever lower Z712 prices. The new model is very similar, but with 10Mpix.

I'll be interested to see what the 10 Mpix image quality is like, especially at high ISO. It's the same lens, I think, and therefore the same size sensor. High ISO performance on the 712 is just about tolerable if you're not too fussy, but I'd expect the 10Mpix to be worse, unless there's been a breakthrough in the technology in the last year. I find my 7Mpix satisfactory, and only wish for more when I want to crop due to lack of foresight.

I think the Z1012is does have the wonderful electronic viewfinder, unlike the 8612is. I wouldn't be without my EVF.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:24 PM   #3

Actually the 1012 has a bit larger sensor (1/2.33 vs. 1/2.5) than the 7/812 which changes the effective focal length from 36-436mm to 33-396mm.

If I upgraded from my Z612 I think it would be to the Z712 as it probably has the best high ISO performance of any 1/2.5 sensor camera on the market.

I agree with Alan T., I wouldn't have any long zoom camera without an EVF.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote