Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:21 AM   #1

Hopefully someone can help this newbie.

When I remove the batteries from my Z712 for recharging, the camera loses all it's settings including date and time. This is a total pain in the.... . Is it correct that this happens or is the camera faulty.

All help appreciated.

BATTY_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2

It doesn't have a backup battery as such, but it must have some sort of capacitor to maintain the settings while batteries are changed, because I've never lost mine in the last 18 months of heavy use.

I always swap in my spare charged battery when I change mine.If you haven't got one, a throwaway lithium primary CR-V3 would be a good investment, to carry at all times as a spare. Then you'll never be caught out without any power. They'll take hundreds of shots, and are very long-dated. Mine, bought last year, says 2015. I carry it in my (very small) camera case, and a charged Li-ion spare as well.

If you've don't have a spare battery, any old cells will probably do. Charged Ni-MH AAs or even alkaline AAs will almost certainly keep it alive for a long time, as long as you don't switch it on. If you do, Ni-MH won't last long, and alkalines won't work at all.

If it loses its memory in the few seconds taken to change over, it's a fault, I'm afraid.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for that, I got the camera as a refurb so will need to test it in more detail. I had a Kodak CX7530 that never had that issue. I saw some of your pics in the forum and am very impressed, especially the fireworks.

After only spending a day snapping I have come up with some great images (in my view) so am very pleased so far.

I will test the way you suggested and see what happens.

BATTY_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:06 PM   #4

In the intervening time since the last time this discussion came up I've had additional information from Kodak. The Z*12 series (nor any of the current Kodaks) does not have a capacitor to hold the time/date information but rather a small rechargeable cell/battery.

The battery, when new will hold the time/date for about 30 min. which obviously long enough to hold through a battery swap as you suggested but not long enough to allow for a battery charge cycle. Your recommendations are the correct procedure with an operational time/date battery.

The unfortunate element is that the rest of the camera will outlast that rechargeable cell. It will wear out to the point that no one can possibly switch batteries fast enough to maintain date/time. As a result I've become pretty quick setting date/time on my Z612. I haven't lost any settings except date/time, I think the rest of the setting are written to non-volatile memory.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:19 AM   #5

ac.smith wrote:
As a result I've become pretty quick setting date/time on my Z612.
I have the same issue with my Z612. And it happened just after the warranty ran out. Did not like also the loss of focus when zooming on video.

I've since switched to Canon - first the S5IS and now, the XTi DSLR.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote