Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 20, 2003, 1:33 PM   #1
Default DX6490 First Impressions

Bought my wife a DX6490 and took it out for a trial shoot this weekend.

The most obvious feature is the Scheinder lens. It is really impressive !! You can reach out and grab your subjects way past where most lens give up.

Operation of the lens is really neat. Kodak has taken advantage of the "Back of the lens movement", so the housing does not move in and out as old style Tele lenses do. The internal elements at the back of the lens is all that moves, thereby reducing the weight and time involved to frame your shot. Pretty slick !

Auto focus seems quick and is "right-on"

The large 2.2" CRT is muchly appreciated (especially to these old eyes)

The EVF is quite good and provides all of the info (almost too much) that you need.

The "joystick" control in the center of the rotating dial, takes a little getting used too, but once you get the hang of it - it is quite easy to work with.

The Flash has a switch that you must shift in order to make it pop up - something you have to remember when you want that feature.

Shot-to-shot is faster than earlier Kodaks in this price range - and if you remember this is NOT an SLR - it is probably a little better than some other brands/models.

My wife only shot about 80+ pictures but she "Reviewed" each one for at least 10 to 15 seconds. She also became fascinated by the awesome zoom, so you can imagine all the In-Out-In she gave it. Having said this, the battery was still over half charged when we quit-

The docking station (included) works like a charm - a little fiddling with the hookup and software - and you can "one-touch" download to your computer. Also it charges the battery when the camera is docked

The overall quality of the photos was very good. I will leave the technical aspects to Steve and the other experts.

I consider myself a serious "ProSumer" photographer, with my primary goal as getting "Good" as opposed the Perfect technical shot.

This camera certainly performs very well for the person who wants a lot of lens and adequate Pixel count/software/processing.

If anyone is interested, I will keep giving m"Impressions" as I learn the god and nt-so-good" features of this little beauty !!

Jon F.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links