Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Default Zi8 and Kodak KP100-C+2

I need to be able to record long, single video clips (my wife is a music teacher and I record her concerts and plays) without stopping to change the battery. With the size of my memory card, the battery in the Zi8 will run out before I run out of space on the memory card. So, I naturally checked the official Zi8 accessories page and found the KP100-C+2 portable charger (this charger also lists the Zi8 as a compatible device).

This charger is basically a rechargeable battery pack that can be plugged into any device via USB, charging the other device. This functionality does work with the Zi8. If I plug the battery pack into the camera, it does charge. However, the selling point for me was, and I quote from the product page, "No need to wait—the power pack keeps your device running and recharges at the same time." Unfortunately, this is not true. If the Zi8 is powered on and I plug the KP100-C+2 in, the camera shuts off after ~2 seconds. If the camera is off when I plug the battery pack in, the camera turns on and then off after ~2 seconds. Obviously, this totally defeats the purpose of my purchase.

I called Kodak and they said that the Zi8 will not function while the KP100-C+2 is charging it. This annoys me to no end, because that is the exact reason I purchased the charger, and it was an advertised feature. And on top of that, the Zi8 records and plays back fine when it is charging via the wall charger.

Does anyone know of a work around to get these two devices to play nice? Or is there another similar battery pack I could purchase? Are there higher capacity batteries that are compatible with the Zi8 that are actually reliable?

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
mpb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:38 AM   #2

why don't you buy a bunch of batteries charge them up using your zi8 and take them with you? Or sit near powerplug and use wall charger

it will not work if usb port in use.. that's somekinda kodak's safety precautions

Last edited by idenny; Nov 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM.
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:30 AM   #3

Neither of those options is ideal. Changing batteries is not an option for certain occasions, and I cannot always be within range of a wall outlet. I think I've stumbled upon a couple of chargers that actually do what the Kodak charger claimed to do:

mpb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:21 PM   #4

yeah those might work..
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:49 PM   #5

This is what you need to do.

I use a Zapp it recharge it all, purchased from Overstock, it is a usb 4aa battery . You may see it in the hybriid section,and in my videos of youtube.

1. you never said how long the video's will be or concert. a long time can be hours.

So rather me drag this out.

You have a few spare batterries for the kodak, each battery will give you a hour. the zapp it will act as your continuous power.

A) cam battery cover is off exposing the battery.

B) you Shoot your footage, no matter how hard you try, there will be a fraction of movement during a exchange.

C) when you feel the battery is getting low, signs will be LED goes off and audio beep silinces. do a test run.
You plug in the ext power source.

D) remove internal battery. Unplug ext power source,

E) repeat for however long you need the footage.

Now you said you need to shoot uninterrupted nd you do not want any removal. you then need to wire up a system parallel,and series.

The Kodak ZI8 is the only cam that you can do this on, while I own the Playsport as well,and proven that you cannot do teh same.

I hope that I helped out. and this was talked about a year ago ENJOY FISH

Found on ebay for around 15.00 shipped to make your own not worth it, the one I own can be used as shown invideo
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote