Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Default Intermittant big problem with Kodak Z980 : horizontal lines and blown out images

I have a Kodak Z980 camera. When it works right, which is the majority of the time, it takes good pictures.

Unfortunately, it has started to exhibit a serious problem where it will start to take pictures with horizontal lines and where the colors are all blown out. Once it enters this haywire phase, it will stay there until change the camera mode several times (turn the mode dial from mode to mode until it behaves again). When it is the bad mode, you can see the same bad pictures on the LCD on the back of the camera as you get when you take the picture.

It appears that the camera is more likely to exhibit the problem when taking pictures in low light, although I can't 100% confirm that. I have not been able to correlate going into the haywire phase 100% with ANYTHING.

Here are three pictures. The first two are pictures taken after the camera decided to go in the haywire phase. The third is the picture I got after messing around with the "mode" dial on the top of the camera until it behaved itself.

Any suggestions? It's still under warranty (barely). My worry is that since this is an intermittent problem, if I take it in, they'll tell me the problem is unreproducable. (IT seems to happen once or more per session these days, but you know how it goes...)

kwadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:07 AM   #2

did you try to reinstall the firmware? see if it helps... if not.. they will replace it no worries!

kodak will most likely suggest you to reinstall the firmware..
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote