Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:31 AM   #1
Default How do you like your 6490

I have been considering replacing my Minolta 7HI with a Kodak 6490. I have a few concerns and want to know what owners of the camera have seen.

1) How consistant is the auto focus. Do you regularly get blurred images or are they in focus.

2) Actions shots - Are they clear?

3) Point & Shoot - Does the camera work well in a point and shoot situation for candid moments.

4) Image noise - I print a lot of 8x10. Is their much noise in this size of image.

5) Are you happy with the camera and would you purchase it again?

hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:18 PM   #2

1) Autofocus is not fast but consistant. I've shot about 100 pics and never got one out of focus.
2) I don't shoot actions, but I think 6490 won't be much good with low ISO's and slow focus on tele.
3) I don't use the auto mode that much, but exposure is very good. I love Kodak's color rendering.
4) I checked the original image files on review sites, and IMO 6490's noise is better than the well-known F717's. Much better than any Minolta or Nikon.

How ever macro mode is only ok. Small objects don't get magnified like crazy as in Nikons. Also the jpeg compression is too much. Hope they'll fix that in new firmware. I love the lens & the big LCD. Once the lens is in ready position it doesn't move, and it's a really sharp lens with little distortion.
Would I buy it again? If I still don't make enough money for a digital slr kit, I'll buy this Kodak again. It has limitations, but for $450 I don't see a better choice. This is my first digicam after a few years shooting with a Canon SLR, and oh man digital photography is big fun.
phoenix99 is offline   Reply With Quote