Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:46 PM   #1
Default kodak 6440

iv found a kodak 6440 to buy for $249 is this camera a good buy also will i be pleased with thic pictures it takes as a point and shoot for the family?
blowing up to 10x8? any boby got this cam
thank you
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:30 PM   #2

I had the camera for a week but took it back for the DX6490. If I had not had the long experience I have had in photography and simply wanted a decent point-and-shoot camera, I would have been very content with the camera. The few shots I took during that week were very well exposed (famous Kodak color) and sharp. In the end, only you can determine what you will be happy with... none of us can answer that question for you. I "think" you will really like the DX6440 but if money is not a consideration I would take it back for the DX6490. It just does so much more and allows you to grow as a photographer. Good luck.
leushino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 11:38 AM   #3

I've had the 6440 since Xmas Eve. Really enjoying it. Fairly versatile, good quality photos (I've blown a couple up to 8x 10 & they look fine). Easy to use, and unlike the 6490, it fits into your pocket, if that is important to you.
Treadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:25 PM   #4

I've had this camera for a while and taken about 700 pics in a variety of settings.

It's excellent and I recommend it highly.

The 4x zoom and lens is excellent. The flash is strong. Image quality and color balance are excellent on both indoor and outdoor pics. Battery life is very good (if you turn off the 'quick view' of each pic on the lcd.) Focus is very good--very few pics out of focus. The controls are logical and make using it easy. It has a number of preset modes (like sports, portrait, macro erc), but also has sufficient advanced manual controls to keep me plenty busy without going up to the bulk and price of the 6490. It's shot to shot times are typical for cameras of this type and price range. It has a burst mode which can take 6 pics in seconds--good for action shots.

You can read more about the available settings and controls on the kodak site, where you can browse the manual.

It's a different camera than the 6490--so you have to see if the added features and 10x zoom are worth the added price and size for you.
afedullo is offline   Reply With Quote