Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 18, 2004, 1:27 AM   #1
Default dark or blurry pics DX6490

A little help PLEASE. I took my 6490 to a gym to photograph the grand kids in tumbling. I took 66 pics and they are either too dark or blurry. You can't use a flash in there. I tried in auto setting the ev up and that helped a little but shutter speed was still slow. If the kids moved at all,they were blurry or if I couldn't hold the camera still enough. I tried manual mode,and program mode but nothing seemed to help. Is there a "best" setting for something like this or am I just out of luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Rick
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:29 PM   #2

Set the camera on PASM mode.
Push the menu button
Set the ASA to ISO 400 (if the pictures are for EMAIL/web then 800)
Push menu again

Now try P mode first.
If that doesn't give you acceptable results. Go to A mode and set the aperature to f2.8. If the speed is acceptable go with it otherwise increase for depth of field. For action you will want 1/125 at a minimum (1/500 or better is ideal). If you are zooming in a lot a tripod/monopod can help a lot.

Get a copy of neatimage to clean up the noise (basic version is free and works well).

You have just discovered the biggest thing that the SLR guys have over us. The new DSLRs go to ASA 1000 with minimal noise and give results like our ASA 400 at ASA 1600.

Extra tip. Shoot an object of known color so you can adjust the colors later. The white balance can get fooled sometimes.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:49 PM   #3

Thanks Castle, I appreciate the tips! I will try this next time out. I can't believe the difference between the slr's and digital in ASA's. I tried shooting at 800 and the noise was terrible. So bad I couldn't use it. I will get that neatimage and give it a try. Thanks again!
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote