Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:39 AM   #1
Default Zi8 freezes with SD card inserted

Hi. The camera was working fine as of a couple of weeks ago. As of today, when an SD card (32 GB class 10) is in the camera, it turns on, but then no buttons work, not even power. Without the SD card, all buttons work. The SD card is not defective (works in other devices), firmware is up to date (1.06_1015). I accessed the hidden menu, but on "Factory Default" I get a "Factory File NG" message. All other test functions read OK. SD card is formatted in NTFS. Any suggestions, or has the device reached the end of its useful life after 25 hours of total video time? Thanks for your help.
zmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:23 PM   #2
Default Solved

The problem was with the SD card -- here's how I fixed it.

I could not format the card in the Zi8, because once the card was inserted, none of the buttons on the Zi8 were operational. I did a long format in my laptop, and the card was working fine in the laptop, able to copy files in and out.

But when I tried the SD card in a Fuji Finepix JV100, I got a message that the card was not initialized. So I formatted the card again in the Fuji (took about 5 seconds), and that did the trick -- put the card back into the Zi8, and it's up and running again.

If anybody else runs into the same problem, here's one way to solve it.
zmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:38 AM   #3

yep been there.. I would not use a 32gbcrd not needed, may not be - heck it is by the sites inf0- maybe use a 16gb r keep an eye on it
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:50 AM   #4

Originally Posted by zmonk View Post
...SD card is formatted in NTFS.
Digital Cameras don't support NTFS formatted SDHC Cards. They use FAT32 instead (choose FAT from the drop down list if using Windows to reformat one).

Chances are, the incorrect file system confused the camera; and you needed to format it in a different model (which would have reformatted at FAT32) before it could be properly recognized.

If that happens again in the future (you accidentally format a card using NTFS instead of FAT32), use this tool to reformat it back to the correct file system (which also insures correct sector alignment for better performance):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote